Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inverted Nipple(s)

Options
  • 30-11-2011 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi ladies,

Going unreg for this one. I am trying to conceive and there is one thing in particular that's bothering me and I don't want to speak about it to my doctor (older man). I have a slightly inverted nipple on my left breast and am wondering how this will affect my ability to BF and also if it's something I should rule out now so as not to be disappointed / embarassed in the hospital. Do they give a breast exam while pregnant? I'd be mortified if they saw this on me. It's something I've never spoken about, OH never noticed really, well he never said anything if he did but I'm just so nervous about it. The nipple will come out with a lot of prodding and pulling and if i'm cold it comes out but spends most of the day tucked inside.

Thanks for any input in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

A woman in my family had this, and had no problem breast feeding whatsoever.

The article on wikipedia says the same: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverted_nipple#Pregnancy_and_breastfeeding

Try not to be self-conscious about it, it's very common.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭pippam

You can use aids such as Avent Niplette if you find difficulty BF.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi ladies,

Going unreg for this one. I am trying to conceive and there is one thing in particular that's bothering me and I don't want to speak about it to my doctor (older man). I have a slightly inverted nipple on my left breast and am wondering how this will affect my ability to BF and also if it's something I should rule out now so as not to be disappointed / embarassed in the hospital. Do they give a breast exam while pregnant? I'd be mortified if they saw this on me. It's something I've never spoken about, OH never noticed really, well he never said anything if he did but I'm just so nervous about it. The nipple will come out with a lot of prodding and pulling and if i'm cold it comes out but spends most of the day tucked inside.

Thanks for any input in advance

I had something similar but it was more a flat nipple than inverted. My baby struggled to latch on at the beginning but I used a pump for a few days and kept encouraging her to latch on that nipple. Now 4 weeks later my baby has no problem latching on. The nipple is still much smaller than my other nipple but it's not causing any issues. Having said that my baby prefers the other breast...it's definitely her favourite.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

pippam wrote: »
    You can use aids such as Avent Niplette if you find difficulty BF.

I've heard great things about the niplette, however you need to use it BEFORE you start lactating, so if you're TTC, now would be the time to use it. I bought it when I'd had my son because my nipples were quite flat, but because it works on a suction basis, once you apply it your milk leaks and they don't stay on. It says in the instructions that they recommend using them while pregnant or before getting pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the replies, really appreciate them but I have actually tried nipplette but it wouldn't stay on and was actually quite sore. I've read that from all the sucking the baby does that nipples can actually change after breastfeedingand while pregnant, is this true from your own experiences?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Thanks for the replies, really appreciate them but I have actually tried nipplette but it wouldn't stay on and was actually quite sore. I've read that from all the sucking the baby does that nipples can actually change after breastfeedingand while pregnant, is this true from your own experiences?

Yes, definitely during pregnancy I noticed changes to my nipples. One is now noticeably bigger than the other.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Other than getting darker, mine didn't change, however everyone's different. The lactation consultant in the hospital told me that some babies can suck out an inverted nipple so it doesn't necessarily cause problems for everyone, however my little guy just wouldn't latch on to mine properly at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

I would also read up on Laid Back Breastfeeding as it can reduce some of the complications that come with trying to get the latch right which then causes pain and cracked nipples.

http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/blog/2010/7/18/laid-back-breastfeeding.html

http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

If you're hoping to breast feed, might you consider going to a breast feeding support group or a La Leche League meeting either now or sometime during your pregnancy?
    I'm sure an inverted nipple isn't uncommon at all and someone will have some tips and tricks.
    I've heard before that the baby can kinda pull it out as well, so that might be an easy solution if it's true!
    Good luck and enjoy trying to conceive in the meantime! ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Agree with lilliq go to a support group I go to LeLeche and the support and advice you get is wonderful plus sometimes I'm sure its good just to talk to other women going through or who have gone through the same thing

• Advertisement
Advertisement