Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Force Eircom to give me broadband

Options
  • 30-11-2011 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Eircom keep on telling me that the line test is failing broadband. I am 10km from the exchange but my neighbour across the road who is slightly closer has got the broadband after fighting eircom.

For me they simply refuse to activate broadband and let me try it and see if it will work.

Also 3G coverage is patchy, only works in 1 or 2 parts of the house.

Any advice would be appreciated !
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Ravenid

Dude,
    After 3km copper wire Broadband starts to drop in speed.
    After 4km it hits Dial-up speed.
    10Km don't bother.

eircom isn't under any obligation to provide broadband to every home in Ireland.
    If you want to kick up a fuss and insist you get broadband go ahead but you'll have dreadful speed issues that far out , you'll probably get charged extra for setup that far out and when you finally decide you want rid of the connection eircom will charge you through the nose for disconnection.

Whatever you decide best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 patmulc

Thanks ! The thing is despite what you say, my neighbours can get it even though they are also 9.9km from exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Ravenid

Oh you can get it but its the speed and quality of the service that's the question.

You don't happen to know what speed your neighbor is getting?

Also what are you planning to use this for?
    If its just for general internet (Web browsing email etc.) you might consider satellite broadband as an alternative. I know many on here don't consider it real broadband but if you are that far away from an exchange and you're not going to be gaming on the connection its a valid alternative if all you are doing is web browsing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 patmulc

I guess what I'm really after is how to force eircom to activate it for me despite the test failing, then I can check it out myself and decide if it's good enough. Now I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭wobbles-grogan

Itll be too expensive just to "test out". Did you check with lastmile? They do a long range wireless broadband to your house. It wouldnt be anywhere near as expensive as what it will cost to get eircom to connect your house to the exchange, and will probably be faster as your so far out.

Maybe you should use your neighbours internet for a bit to test if the speed is up to scratch for you. Otherwise, lastmile might be your best bet! Really depends if they have set up in your location.

You cant force eircom to set up for you. You can only pay them to do it, and that will be pricey, and they have the right to refuse to do it as, as the last poster said, eircom doesnt legaly have to provide you broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭280special

Have you checked out the Government scheme to ensure that everyone has broadband ?

Eircom are a disaster when it comes to getting a response or for that matter customer service, they arrived out here unannouched and uninvited despite being told not to , but probably in response to the business moving their landline from them to another provider.They then promised they would provide high speed, high quality broadband and come back to us within a few weeks..... two years later we are still waiting to hear back from them ! Not the first time we have had issues with them but most certainly the last time !

At the moment we are using mobile broadband, At times not very satisfactory due to coverage issues,but at least it can then be used by the reps out on the road as well !

Advertisement