Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rail-served Brick Works in Coolaney, Sligo

Options
  • 29-11-2011 9:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

Well all the years I lived here and never knew. There was a rail served brickworks on the Burma Road between Coolnacool and Coolooney on the old Burma Road part of the WRC.

You can see were the siding came off and the works are pretty substantial going by what remains. Anyone know anything about this place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ghost.

Ya, apparantly there were bricks made years ago in coolaney. A friend of mine told me about it and showed me the spot one day. I never even noticed it before that.
    I dont know any details Im afraid. But Im sure if you asked in o gradys bar someone would know and have the history of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Eiretrains

Here's the OS map (c1900s) of the site. Interesting it had a small network of its own lines. There was a similar brick factory near Portmarnock which had it's own track, although it was not served by the railway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Eiretrains wrote: »
    Here's the OS map (c1900s) of the site. Interesting it had a small network of its own lines. There was a similar brick factory near Portmarnock which had it's own track, although it was not served by the railway.

Link doesn't work - any chance that you could snip and paste?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,025 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Link doesn't work - any chance that you could snip and paste?

It works ok for me, oddly enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

After much searching here it is. Quite elaborate too compared to the other sidings in the Quartertown Mills thread. Private sidings were/are the lifeblood of railways and back in the late 1970s when CIE were busy disconnecting them, the French in particular, were adding new ones at the rate of one a week.

Brickworks%2BBurma%2BRoad.JPG

On my one trip over the Burma Road in 1981, in the Claremorris direction, I failed to notice the brickworks but will pay it a visit when the line reopens. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

After much searching here it is. Quite elaborate too compared to the other sidings in the Quartertown Mills thread. Private sidings were/are the lifeblood of railways and back in the late 1970s when CIE were busy disconnecting them, the French in particular, were adding new ones at the rate of one a week.

Brickworks%2BBurma%2BRoad.JPG

On my one trip over the Burma Road in 1981, in the Claremorris direction, I failed to notice the brickworks but will pay it a visit when the line reopens. :D
    Look closely JD and see there are only two sidings which do not connect with the rest of the more elaborate track around the brick works. These were for goods in and out only and the other track possibly narrow guage or just light iron rails would have carried possibly small manual or horse operated flatbed trucks for moving raw materials and bricks in different states or manufacture around between kiln and cooling sheds and storage sheds.

Advertisement