Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bill paying for couples

Options
  • 29-11-2011 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

So me and the GF are moving in together, and ive decided i want us to have a joint account for paying bills and food. Has anybody any tips on this? Is it the best way to go? We are going to go with Ulster Bank because of there free banking but they have a €30.00 quarterly fee, is that how they sting you for not having o pay for direct debits etc..?

Also, if i earn more, is it best if i put more money into the bill paying joint account than her, leving her with more in her personl account, or is there a beter way of splitting it evenly?

I aint looking for someone to organise my life, so apologies if i come across that way. I have planned this down tot he last detail already, just looking for an outside opinion from folks who have done this already.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

For free banking, aib want you to use the laser card and make a internet banking transaction once ever 3 months. This seems the easiest way to do it.
    To qualify to bank free of maintenance and transaction fees, all you need to do each fee quarter is to make a purchase with your AIB Debit Card AND use AIB Phone & Internet Banking to make a debit transaction like paying a bill. Please refer to our Related Information section for more details.

What we used to do was, we had an account for all bills, we put in a portion of our wages into it every week / month. We used that account's laser to buy the shopping. We were also putting in €50 extra a month as savings too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Get an Ulster bank standard account. What you must have been looking at was a ufirst account. It cost €10 per month for that. With a standard account with Ulster bank you don't have to jump through hoops like making a certain amount of payments. It's just free banking.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭IpreDictDeatH

Jet Black wrote: »
    Get an Ulster bank standard account. What you must have been looking at was a ufirst account. It cost €10 per month for that. With a standard account with Ulster bank you don't have to jump through hoops like making a certain amount of payments. It's just free banking.

Ah yes, i believe i was-silly me. Thats great so :) Exactly what i was after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 marmart

If you are moving in together hold off on the joint account thing.Hard lessons learned- keep both your independence and money by each keepi and seperate accounts and paying for bills as needed.
    Never give up your own bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭shanemort

Setup a joint account for bills / rent / shopping etc but split things 50/50 you shouldn't put in more just cause you earn more those days are gone its 50/50 until your married!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

Pay the bills relative to your usage, not to your earnings.
    I believe that makes the most sense.
    It isn't like you use more of the internet/telephone/hot water/lights because you're paid more.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

shanemort wrote: »
    Setup a joint account for bills / rent / shopping etc but split things 50/50 you shouldn't put in more just cause you earn more those days are gone its 50/50 until your married!!!

This..

And UB account is 100% free......... For the time being.......

Advertisement