Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pursuing a career as a Fisheries Officer?

Options
  • 29-11-2011 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

I know this is a very specific career but I thought I'd put this out there and hope someone might be able to offer me some advice.

I'm 23 and I've a degree in Environmental Science (Honours). I completed two seasons with our Fisheries here (one as an Environmental Scientist and the other as a Fisheries Officer). I absolutley loved working as a Fisheries Officer and I'm going to do everything I can to make this work. In some ways I'm over qualified to do this job, so I'm not sure if it would be worth doing a masters in the area.

Anyways I'm not going to bore you with the details of the job but I have been doing a lot of searching on what my weaknesses are. I think I am up to speed on the science and law aspects on the job. I think my weaknesses could be on enforcement procedures, you can't learn this in college it's more of something you learn on the job.

In line with our work we can spend some 50% of our time enforcing fishing laws and regional regulations. In this we can make on-the-spot fines, confiscate fishing equipment and veicles, and make arrests. You can imagine we are faced with a lot of hostility and confrontation. We have been physically attacked threatend outside work ect.

I'm wondering is there any FAS courses you could do which might help in this area. I'm thinking conflict resolution courses, security (Bouncer), assertiveness training?

From the few FETAC courses I looked over, it only deals with management issues (pushing paper work), but in his line of work you will be dealing with individuals who will be in a temper and won't think twice about hitting you or attacking you.

(Note to mod: I was going to put this in the Angling forum but there seems to be a lot of Fisheries officer/River bailiff bashing going on in that section:))

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Atlantis50

How about one of those pre-Garda training courses?

Or a course along the lines of this - http://www.corkcollegeofcommerce.ie/courseday.cfm?d=5&c=179

But based on your experience (a season as a fisheries officer), I'd say your qualified enough as it is. In any interview, etc just emphasise your previous experience in dealing with people.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭effluent

I was in for an interview for a vacancy abroad but was unsucessful. I've requested feedback on their assesment on me and I've also booked interview mocks and preparation advice. I got the feeling they thought I was too science based, I didn't have a lot of confrontation/hostile situations experience compared to their area (The area was based around Hackney/Tottenham/West Ham and I come from a rural area) and my experiences would have been totally different to what they deal with.

I've come across another vacancy shortly before my interview, and I'd guess they will be holding interviews at the end of January or start of February. I think I'd have a much better shot at this as I think I'd be very compatible with their area and experience. But I don't really have a lot of time between now and then. I guess all I can do is imrpove on my last interview. I've also been looking at self defence classes in my area, I was hoping there might have been there might have been some short term course that might have helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Atlantis50 wrote: »
    How about one of those pre-Garda training courses?

Why ? Those courses are designed to coach people in the Garda entrance exams and tests - they do not teach law-enforcement in any shape , manner or form.
    Total waste for someone looking to a career as a Fisheries Officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I imagine fisheries boards are under the remit of the public sector recruitment embargo? If so you could be waiting awhile.

It may help to be involved at committee level in your angling club especially if that involves dealings with the fisheries boards. That allows you to get to know the legislation and regulation that goes with fishery protection - if its a well run club!

I know one person that went into that area a(albeit a few years back) and had a degree in environmental science too so you're certainly on the right track. :)

Also PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭effluent

I probably would get involved in angling clubs if I was a permanent staff member but as I haven't really settled in an area it wouldn't really work out.

I was told by a collegue that it might be a good idea to do the Fisheries management course (Level 7). But from what I've seen of that course and it's exam papers I've covered the material in a lot more detail, plus I'd end up spending seven years in college altoghter. Plus the course doesn't appear to give anything to enforcement procedures (i.e hostile/conflict situations...what I'm looking to improve on)

I came out with a pretty good degree and would be eligible to go on and do a masters (Fisheries Management area). It's something I'd consider if my next interview is unsucessful, both for my own interest and how it would stand to me in the future ( possible promotions-inspector). On the other hand I'd be overly qualified for what I want to actually do, too office based.

I've also been looking at First aid courses, chainsaw course and trailer towing certs that could boost my CV.

• Advertisement
Advertisement