Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lamp Posts

Options
  • 29-11-2011 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Alright alright.... now who went around bending the lamposts (Elm Park, Avilla) on Christmas Daze?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

1) Can't this just go into the other thread about anti social behavior?
    2) How do you know it was during christmas daze?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

3) Lamp post bending isn't easy, I'd imagine. I doubt it was done on purpose.
    4) How do you know it was UL related?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

I doubt that was drunken students. takes a fair whack to bend a post. I hit a stop sign with my car before,( not acting the bollix or anything it was dark and i was reversing and also driving about two weeks,) and the thing didn't even shake and i was going at least 15/20 miles an hour the post wins when that happens car lifts of the ground and crumples. small lorry or jeep maybe but other than that student would have to be fairly commited to wrecking a car for the sake of the lolz.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭seen2Bgreen

I went away on the Wed and was back on Fri so the damage was done on Thurs. of Christmas Daze (night). Obviously that doesnt mean it was UL students for sure but whoever did it put in a fair effort. You'd want a rope and a car to bend it I'd say. There's another one in Elm Park near the MG gap that's bent right over aswell. Those two were done last week. There's another gammy one in Elderado thats been leaning for 4 years anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

I laughed at the term bending lampposts and the laid back way of asking it.
    I would see bending a lampost as a feat, something you'd almost take pride in doing...
    Who'd look at a lampost and think,
    I'm going to bend this bastard...
    More to the point though...
    Who, after spending a night bending lamposts,
    In their no doubt intoxicated state,
    Would REMEMBER their actions the night before... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

Fierce weather we're having, maybe its that. :p

I don't really condone this behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,429 ✭✭✭✭cson

On a semi-related note; if you kick the lamp posts in Kilmurry about halfway up the pole you can knock them off. Done multiple times it will leave the village in eerie darkness.

Not that I'd condone that sort of behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Polar Ice wrote: »

He's quite a loving guy is Brick,
    Particularly towards inanimate objects :)

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

The lampposts are clearly all bent because someone loved lamp so much that they climbed up to give them a hug. Unfortunately the person's weight then bent the lampposts while they were up their giving them hugs.

Such ashame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

Polar Ice wrote: »
    The lampposts are clearly all bent because someone loved lamp so much that they climbed up to give them a hug. Unfortunately the person's weight then bent the lampposts while they were up their giving them hugs.

Such ashame.

would'nt think they would bend that easy to be honist i know there was one bent in milford a while back but i allways presumed it was a car that bent it like

those lamp post are fairly strong like i think there made out of 2mm steal or aluminium by the looks of them i'm not sure which material is used though

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ned14

Everyone is assuming it was students, and nowone seems to be considering the possibility that it was some of limericks finest recenely decentralised citizens. Anyone have some free time and would like to conduct a stress analysis on it or a similar lampost?

I do know that a house right beside the lampost in Milford had a wheelie bin thrown through it a few weeks back in an attempt to steal a PC. Gardaí caught them later on. (They weren't students)

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

ned14 wrote: »
    Everyone is assuming it was students, and nowone seems to be considering the possibility that it was some of limericks finest recenely decentralised citizens. Anyone have some free time and would like to conduct a stress analysis on it or a similar lampost?

I do know that a house right beside the lampost in Milford had a wheelie bin thrown through it a few weeks back in an attempt to steal a PC. Gardaí caught them later on. (They weren't students)

If that house is the house I'm thinking of I think there was a fairly expensive printer in the same room as the PC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Ivan Offlcockitch

mayo_lad wrote: »
    If that house is the house I'm thinking of I think there was a fairly expensive printer in the same room as the PC

you seem to know a lot about this...a bit too much i think...
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tonka_92

It is a bit ridiculous, because now that the, already quite bent, lamp post near to the entrance to the right as you go out the east gate is fully bent, it has broken the circuit to the rest of the lights on that circuit, and the entire path down by the green is in complete darkness up to the point where the lights from elm park on the other side of the hedge poke through

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ned14

They're cutting down the one in Milford at the moment. Was sitting a lot lower this morning. Someone must have decided to help it down a bit more last night to make the work easier for the council...

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭brucechan

Just because it was Christmas Daze and there was all kinds of messing going on DOES NOT mean it was UL students. No, and just because there are tyre marks on the green between Avilla and Dun an Oir doesnt mean it was students either. And just because the traffic lights by the church were smashed during Christmas Daze doesnt mean it was students.
    The wheelie bins that were robbed from Elm Park and left on the Plassey Park road and in MG during Christmas Daze doesnt mean it was students who stole them. And the students who were beaten up in Elm Park by other students on Christmas Daze would have to convince me they were telling the truth because we all know, we can't blame students all the time.
    Its amazing how all this stuff only happens when the students are around though. Ironically, the same trend occurred when I was studying at UL. Hmmm.......

I'd say it was those nasty residents... They love messing up where they live and blaming it on the students who simply enjoy a few quiet drinks and a chat on Christmas Daze.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

brucechan wrote: »
    Just because it was Christmas Daze and there was all kinds of messing going on DOES NOT mean it was UL students. No, and just because there are tyre marks on the green between Avilla and Dun an Oir doesnt mean it was students either. And just because the traffic lights by the church were smashed during Christmas Daze doesnt mean it was students.
    The wheelie bins that were robbed from Elm Park and left on the Plassey Park road and in MG during Christmas Daze doesnt mean it was students who stole them. And the students who were beaten up in Elm Park by other students on Christmas Daze would have to convince me they were telling the truth because we all know, we can't blame students all the time.
    Its amazing how all this stuff only happens when the students are around though. Ironically, the same trend occurred when I was studying at UL. Hmmm.......

I'd say it was those nasty residents... They love messing up where they live and blaming it on the students who simply enjoy a few quiet drinks and a chat on Christmas Daze.

It is always the students that break stuff it was grand all summer till the students come back & a small minority wreck the place then with their stupid drunken antics. dont be talking crap about it wasnt the student!!!

lot of promoting antisocial behaviour here

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Mikel91

It is always the students that break stuff it was grand all summer till the students come back & a small minority wreck the place then with their stupid drunken antics. dont be talking crap about it wasnt the student!!!

Crap is it? Could you explain to me so why one night I saw young teenagers going about causing the hassle?

So no its not always students.

• Advertisement

Mikel91 wrote: »
    Crap is it? Could you explain to me so why one night I saw young teenagers going about causing the hassle?

So no its not always students.

99% of the time it is..
    I Said a small minority too.(some decent, want to learn students)

what were they doing so???

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭seen2Bgreen

I think Brucechan was being sarcastic there, JamesBond.....

I think Brucechan was being sarcastic there, JamesBond.....

I Know, i needed to vent!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I Know, i needed to vent!!!

Nice cover mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

If I see students coming unwarranted acts of vandalism violence I go over and tell them to stop and take a picture on my iphone and send it to the guards and the UL president.

I haven't got anything back from either informing me that disciplinary or criminal proceedings are taking place. I encourage everyone else to do the same, if you see some yobs swinging out of a lamppost take a photo on your phone and report them to the Gardaí.

Advertisement