Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paramedic wanted.

Options
  • 29-11-2011 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I am a member of a cycling club that runs 27 races between April and October.
    We always try to have an ambulance present for the duration of the races but during 2011 our ambulance failed to show 4 times due to a variety of reasons.
    I am looking into the possibility of filling this gap by building up a panel of paramedics or qualified first aiders that we could call on (at short notice ,we usually know two days in advance if an ambulance is unavailable) who has their own transport and will follow the race around 40Km to 80Km courses and attend to the fallen rider/s.
    Locations are south Meath / east Kildare. Dunboyne, Summerhill, Kentstown, Newbridge.
    Attendance would be Sunday mornings 09:00 to 11:00, Tuesday evenings 19:00 to 20:30. First Aid kit will be provided.
    All riders have personal accident and medical expenses insurance.
    Payment is 150 to 200 Euro per event. (For someone living in Dublin this is about 3 to 4 hours in total.
    Based on last years stats we have one accident every 5 races, this can be single or multiple casualties, most of them are just cuts and scrapes and can be treated on site. Only 3 riders in total required referral to hospital last year.
    PS: Can anybody recommend a suitable sports first aid kit for this type of event.
    Your comments/advice welcome.
    Victor Carrera.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

Hi all,
    We always try to have an ambulance present for the duration of the races but during 2011 our ambulance failed to show 4 times due to a variety of reasons.
    I am looking into the possibility of filling this gap by building up a panel of paramedics or qualified first aiders that we could call on (at short notice ,we usually know two days in advance if an ambulance is unavailable) who has their own transport and will follow the race around 40Km to 80Km courses and attend to the fallen rider/s.
    Locations are south Meath / east Kildare. Dunboyne, Summerhill, Kentstown, Newbridge.
    Attendance would be Sunday mornings 09:00 to 11:00, Tuesday evenings 19:00 to 20:30. First Aid kit will be provided.
    Payment is 150 to 200 Euro per event. (For someone living in Dublin this is about 3 to 4 hours in total.
    Based on last years stats we have one accident every 5 races, this can be single or multiple casualties, most of them are just cuts and scrapes and can be treated on site. Only 3 riders in total required referral to hospital last year.
    PS: Can anybody recommend a suitable sports first aid kit for this type of event.
    Victor Carrera.

Sounds like you'd get away with a first aider - Would you be wanting the big yellow taxi brought along as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

scholar007 wrote: »
    S...Would you be wanting the big yellow taxi brought along as well?

No this is only for occasions when we can't get a scheduled ambulance or they are otherwise engaged.
    Here is how we operate.
    We present our race calendar to the Voluntary Ambulance services and assume they will show unless they inform us. Some times they inform us a few days before hand if they have bigger events to attend and on one occasion the ambulance got lost or went to the wrong location.
    On days when we don't have a scheduled ambulance the paramedic can call the emergency services if needed.
    There are always volunteers to take casualties to A+E by car if that is suitable for that type of injury.

No this is only for occasions when we can't get a scheduled ambulance or they are otherwise engaged.
    Here is how we operate.
    We present our race calendar to the Voluntary Ambulance services and assume they will show unless they inform us. Some times they inform us a few days before hand if they have bigger events to attend and on one occasion the ambulance got lost or went to the wrong location.
    On days when we don't have a scheduled ambulance the paramedic can call the emergency services if needed.
    There are always volunteers to take casualties to A+E by car if that is suitable for that type of injury.

I think the Vol. services are the way to go. Maybe the private operators will do it reasonable if they have a wagon at a loose end but the notion of your provider letting you know a few days before hand that they are not going to turn up or the ambo getting lost is not on at all. I think it would be best to shop around on this - again there are lads and lassies (paras) out there who freelance also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Hi all,
    Victor Carrera.

If this is the club I think it is, then I am a member of the voluntary ambulance organisation mentioned and have attended many of your races. It's the nature of voluntary work that you will sometimes not have ambulance attendance - mainly because we can't get the staff or drivers or they pulled out at last minute. If that's the case the officer in charge endeavors to get replacement cover from another unit but this is not always possible at short notice.

Keep in mind that we rely on these races for a large chunk of our unit income and as hour building and experience for our volunteers. It's not as if we don't want to do it :) We also always try to ensure at least an EMT is on board, thus providing the highest level of care we can.

You'll come across the dropping out even with a panel of first aiders. Might be an idea to send one of your marshals on one of our first aid courses so at least there is a small level of cover should there be no ambulance attendance. At least you'll know he or she will always be there, whereas you could not rely on a panel 100%. The only way of guaranteed medic cover is from a private company, at several times the amount of money you are offering, at very least.

Elessar wrote: »
    If this is the club I think it is, then I am a member of the voluntary ambulance organisation mentioned and have attended many of your races. It's the nature of voluntary work that you will sometimes not have ambulance attendance - mainly because we can't get the staff or drivers or they pulled out at last minute. If that's the case the officer in charge endeavors to get replacement cover from another unit but this is not always possible at short notice.

Keep in mind that we rely on these races for a large chunk of our unit income and as hour building and experience for our volunteers. It's not as if we don't want to do it :) We also always try to ensure at least an EMT is on board, thus providing the highest level of care we can.

You'll come across the dropping out even with a panel of first aiders. Might be an idea to send one of your marshals on one of our first aid courses so at least there is a small level of cover should there be no ambulance attendance. At least you'll know he or she will always be there, whereas you could not rely on a panel 100%. The only way of guaranteed medic cover is from a private company, at several times the amount of money you are offering, at very least.

Did ye really get lost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Did ye really get lost?

Nope, never! Maybe a different unit but I haven't heard of it! Very rarely we get a miscommunication and are told to attend the wrong area, but we always end up at the race :D

Nope, never! Maybe a different unit but I haven't heard of it! Very rarely we get a miscommunication and are told to attend the wrong area, but we always end up at the race :D

I know of a private yoke on a HSE emergency call that ended up in the wrong similarly named estate (around the corner) from where the casualty was - they blamed the GPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Could I ask what voluntary has pulled out of that duty 4 times?

I only ask as the voluntary I'm a member of has recently started 3 new divisions in the area your races would be on, and as they are new and wanting to make a name for themselves I am sure they would not turn away business!

The divisions have a mix of all skill levels from first aid up to AP. Perhaps send a PM my way if you wish.

I think the Vol. services are the way to go. - again there are lads and lassies (paras) out there who freelance also.

To clarify: Yes we are already using the Vol. services for scheduled attendances and wish to back this up by arranging a paramedic or first aider when we know these services are unavailable on a particular date. Otherwise we have to disappoint to 100 cyclists who turn up ready to race.
    PS: Thanks for all the replies. I will reply to others later on this evening.

...I am a member of the voluntary ambulance organisation mentioned

...It's the nature of voluntary work that you will sometimes not have ambulance attendance

With respect: I did not mention any particular service or unit. We use at least two Dublin units regularly and on a few occasions have gone farther afield.

I am a volunteer committee member too and agree with you on this. The non attendance is not a criticism, it is an issue that we need to solve so that we can continue to run all of out events. This is the reason for my original post, an extra service if you like.
    We have a very good and long term relationship with the various services that we wish to continue and are grateful for the work they do.

• Advertisement

Could I ask what voluntary has pulled out of that duty 4 times?

I only ask as the voluntary I'm a member of has recently started 3 new divisions in the area your races would be on, and as they are new and wanting to make a name for themselves I am sure they would not turn away business!

The divisions have a mix of all skill levels from first aid up to AP. Perhaps send a PM my way if you wish.

I won't comment on the who and why so far. Suffice to say that H&S is a very high priority with us as it is for all of you on here. It is discussed at all of our meetings and the request in this thread is one of the solutions proposed to improve on it.

@NeitherJohn: This is exactly what I am looking for. So if you can pm your service name, Locations of your units, Qualifications of your personnel. ( I don't know what AP, EMT etc mean) and your fees we will discuss it at next Mondays meeting and return to you.
    Thanks to everybody thus far and for the service you provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

Hi, I know of a few Dublin Fire Brigade Full-time Paramedics who live in Kentstown, Navan and Trim. I could ask if there interested in being a back up for you.

greenmat wrote: »
    Hi, I know of a few Dublin Fire Brigade Full-time Paramedics who live in Kentstown, Navan and Trim. I could ask if there interested in being a back up for you.

Please do and if so pm their contact details.

To clarify: Yes we are already using the Vol. services for scheduled attendances and wish to back this up by arranging a paramedic or first aider when we know these services are unavailable on a particular date. Otherwise we have to disappoint to 100 cyclists who turn up ready to race.
    PS: Thanks for all the replies. I will reply to others later on this evening.

Plan - Do - Review - If your booked cover doesn't turn up (or gets lost - LOL) - The don't book them again! - You could tell them to get lost - they seem to be good at that.

Simples

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Naas Order Of Malta would be the closest of the kildare units. They wouldn't charge much as most voluntaries do and would have and have several ambulances at their disposal....

They have a good mix of skill levels too - EMTsd, APs, nurses ect ect

Advertisement