Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas parties in houses

Options
  • 29-11-2011 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭

You know the way Christmas is “party season” and there’s ads like the M&S one with Caroline Quentin having a party and serving elegant canapés and champagne… does anyone actually ever get invited or have these kind of parties?

While flicking though the M&S Christmas party food catalogue, I found myself saying “oh, I must buy this, and this” but it dawned on me I’d have no one to serve it to!

The only parties I ever seem to go to would be someone’s house before or after the pub/nightclub for a bit of boozing.

I’d love to have an elegant Christmas party but don't think many would be interested! Is that kind of party only popular in Britain or do I just know the wrong people?

I realise this is an odd thread, but just wondering if anyone feels the same as me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

You know the way Christmas is “party season” and there’s ads like the M&S one with Caroline Quentin having a party and serving elegant canapés and champagne… does anyone actually ever get invited or have these kind of parties?

While flicking though the M&S Christmas party food catalogue, I found myself saying “oh, I must buy this, and this” but it dawned on me I’d have no one to serve it to!

The only parties I ever seem to go to would be someone’s house before or after the pub/nightclub for a bit of boozing.

I’d love to have an elegant Christmas party but don't think many would be interested! Is that kind of party only popular in Britain or do I just know the wrong people?

I realise this is an odd thread, but just wondering if anyone feels the same as me!

Totally get what you mean! I'd love to have people to invite to a party like that but usually it's a quiet Christmas at my house. Like I go out with my friends but we wouldnt really go to each others houses for things like that - also I live with my parents so it would be kind of difficult.

A few years back I invited 3 or 4 of my friends over and I made quiche and shephards pie and had mulled wine and mince pies and stuff - it was nice but a lot of work and they never did anything in return so I decided never again.

But those ads for M&S are so nice - would love to be able to have little canapes and mulled wine and get people together. Having said all that I still buy little finger food for myself and my parents to have on Christmas Eve:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Well for the last 7 or 8 years my friends and I have a party that's not quite that, but it's also not a 'house party'. We call it Mini-Christmas, and it's a chance for us all to get together in one of our houses (usually mine!) for a Christmas dinner, presents, mulled wine, games, all that kind of stuff. It's usually on the weekend before Christmas and it's a chance for us all to get together before we all scatter home across the country. It's also nice now that a few are working abroad, and it might be the only time we get to see each other from one end of the year to the next.

We all chip in and someone cooks a full dinner, and then hosts the afters, where we unwrap pressies and play boardgames, charades, maybe watch a Christmas movie... People tend to dress up a bit, so it's nice. I think this year thought we're going to go out somewhere for the food...

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

It's my sons birthday on 23rd Dec (break-up day) and for us it's the beginning of Christmas so I finish work early on 23rd Dec and I have catering delivered, lots of wine etc. and all the relations and close friends call in for a party.
    As far as us and them are concerned it is his birthday celebration however its not a childrens party by any means and I use this occasion to kick off the festivities. It is really the start of Christmas for us.
    I always look at the lovely finger bits on the M&S ads and when it comes to the catering I order just those type of finger foods and they go down really well. It's no glamourous affair or anything but it is great fun. Already I am planning our party for this year and I can't wait. If it wasn't my sons birthday I would find an excuse somehow to throw a party and the 23rd is a good date, everybody is in good form.
    If you wanted to have a party and have no excuse I would recommend sending out 'Break-Up Day' party invites to close friends and relatives and having a big house bash on 23rd. It is the season afterall:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

We always had a get together for out friends, neighbours and some family members anytime between the 22 and 30th dec with fancy finger food, muilled wine and champagne. Normally people dress up a little. Nothing overly fancy, nice simple dress kind of thing. Its always a lovely evening but with the weather has not happened the last 2 years so here is hoping for this year.

I think its something that couples in the 30/40 age group do more. A fair few of our friends would also do that kind of thing as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Henrib

Yep, we have Christmas drinks and nibbles for neighbours, friends etc just before christmas. In fact just picked up a few snacks and 25% off tesco wine today for that very reason :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement