Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a Sitemap necessary

Options
  • 29-11-2011 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if a Sitemap is absolutely essential to a website that is relatively small. It consists of about 6 pages, and a gallery with a slideshow, so is it worthwhile creating a sitemap just for this, and if so would it be done in html only or should it be done in xml also.

I was told that a sitemap can help with SEO but for such a small site is it really worth attempting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Freddio

Google would probably mark you down for that under their rules for excessive internal linking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

It likes internal linking in general. A 6 page site is unlikely to have anything near excessive internal linking.

For the small overhead in creating both sitemaps, why would you not so it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

tricky D wrote: »
    It likes internal linking in general. A 6 page site is unlikely to have anything near excessive internal linking.

For the small overhead in creating both sitemaps, why would you not so it?

Thats what i had half thought myself alright. Do you see any need to do both or would a quick html one do the job, it would really only list whats on the Nav Bar anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Just do both. Doing a html one is trivial and only takes a minute or two. Then just use an online xml sitemap generator for the xml. Upload, submit to Webmaster Tools, all done in a few minutes.

Advertisement