Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retail/ Gift Store Interview - Help

Options
  • 29-11-2011 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi, Tomorrow afternoon, I have an Interview for a retail/Gift store.
    It's says for seasonal work - assistant required.
    Is this just for a few weeks - over Christmas?:confused:

I am in my middle twenties and have been un-employed for two years now, I have been searching nearly all the time, except for a number of months when I had a baby, during this time.

I worked in the elderly care sector for a number of years since school,and over the last two years I have done several computer and office based courses. ECDL, Payroll, Office skills.

What type of Questions will I be asked tomorrow.

I also did a short time of work experience in a grocery and pharmacy store.

Any useful advice or tips please.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Quiko09 wrote: »
    Hi, Tomorrow afternoon, I have an Interview for a retail/Gift store.
    It's says for seasonal work - assistant required.
    Is this just for a few weeks - over Christmas?:confused:

I am in my middle twenties and have been un-employed for two years now, I have been searching nearly all the time, except for a number of months when I had a baby, during this time.

I worked in the elderly care sector for a number of years since school,and over the last two years I have done several computer and office based courses. ECDL, Payroll, Office skills.

What type of Questions will I be asked tomorrow.

I also did a short time of work experience in a grocery and pharmacy store.

Any useful advice or tips please.:confused:

Seasonal work will be for a fixed term over christmas ie x number of weeks.Just be careful that its not at their call. ie 5 hours this week , 20 next week, 10 week after. ( Heard a good bit of this lately)

Questions they SHOULD ask you will be in relation to how you will fit the role. Ie experience/flexibility.
    Think along the lines of why you want the job & why they should hire you. ie I want the job as its convenient/flexible/ I like dealing face to face with people etc. Reasons why they should hire you = sell yourself.

I too have finally managed to find work after 3 years of illness & im back recruiting as part of the role. Its has moved on a great deal in 3 years ( the waffle section appears to be gone) I generally ask the basics & mainly why should I hire you.. A person who is relaxed & comfortable having a chat & can sell themselves is who I look for for retail roles... & I love people who can think outside the box..... What bothers me when interviewing staff is people who dont come in prepared & really arent bothered being there. ( Find out a small bit about the company you will be working for ie where they have others shops etc)

No im sure a lot of HR people will fault what ive said . The very best of luck. I know its a nightmare out there with the constant rejection. Just be yourself & remember to smile ..

Advertisement