Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Penalty Points

Options
  • 29-11-2011 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hey all,
    Did the NCT and it failed on a few things. But cos ive got a jap car, theres a few things to be fixed unemployed and trying to scrape money together to get stuff fixed.
    Terrified I get penalty points for no NCT. Do they give out penalty points for no NCT. I heard from may 2009 they do.

I havent heard of anyone getting points for this. Can anyone help, cos im sure the gaurds wont take my poverty into account.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Biscuits16

5 penalty points for no NCT

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭jamesdublin12

Ye I read that.. but like do they inforce it???? Im afraid to drive the car.

Maybe just rebook it.. and carry the letter.. gives me time to get the stuff fixed.. just cos its a jap car.. its expensive and takes a while to come the parts.

Depends on the Guard TBH, but carry the letter with you to show that you are making an effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭barura

If you have a retest booked and a letter, you should be able to explain to any garda, failing that, go to court and argue your case in a reasonable manner if worse comes to worse.

In fairness, if you can't afford to fix your car, how are you affording insurance? I assume your car is worth something, perhaps sell it and grab something from bangernomics if no NCT is such a concern?

Hope it works out for you.

• Advertisement

thats why??/ I have to pay for insurance... so can only afford to get it in bits.. but i havent heard of anyone YET that has got penalty points.. has me sick.. must book tomorrow.

thats why??/ I have to pay for insurance... so can only afford to get it in bits.. but i havent heard of anyone YET that has got penalty points.. has me sick.. must book tomorrow.
    "It's the risks we take in life that define ourselves."

Or some toss like that.

If you have the NCT booked and it's not to long out of date, you should be okay with most gardai. From personal experience, I drove through 2 checkpoints and was just waved on when I had a car sans NCT. I think tax and insurance are their main concerns, or that's what it was at the time.

It's a chance you have to take, but be reasonable and explain your situation to a gardai if they ask what's the craic with it.

To be honest, if you're unemployeed, why are you running an expensive car? I assume also, that due to it being a jap, you're probably driving a Mitsubishi or Toyota?

I don't know what it is that you do, but if I was unemployeed, I'd be taking a long hard look at my expenses such as my car if I had little or no income.

What is it if you don't mind my asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

As of about 6 weeks ago, AGS now have a power to sieze a car under s.41 RTA for no NCT. if it's not on it, make sure you have the booking letter/email/text with you when driving. Any reasonable guard will accept that you've gone to efforts to get the car tested but if there's anything dangerously wrong, don't drive the car

Civic no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Biscuits16 wrote: »
    Civic no doubt

:confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,878 ✭✭✭✭unkel

As of about 6 weeks ago, AGS now have a power to sieze a car under s.41 RTA for no NCT. if it's not on it, make sure you have the booking letter/email/text with you when driving. Any reasonable guard will accept that you've gone to efforts to get the car tested but if there's anything dangerously wrong, don't drive the car

The voice of reason. In my experience Gardai have always accepted the booking letter and let me on my way.

Don't worry about it, jamesdublin12. But do get the retest booked asap and don't drive the car until you have the booking for the retest printed out and with you at all times. Out of interest, what's the car (make, model, year) and what did it fail on?

Well It was a car I bought when I was working. Just lost my job, so nct ran out. After it being tested, I dont have enough time to get the money together to get the little bits fixed..... Will have to get a loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Well It was a car I bought when I was working. Just lost my job, so nct ran out. After it being tested, I dont have enough time to get the money together to get the little bits fixed..... Will have to get a loan.

Why won't you tell us what type of car it is?

Lets try again....
    What type of car is it?

Is that relevant??? Its a Honda but its not a civic.
    I not selling it... Cos then Id need more money again to buy another car... dont think id get much for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Well, what I was getting at was the bits that needed to be fixed. How much they cost and if you can get them here or not.
    So, to answer your question, Yes. It is relevant.
    Anyway, I assume that you have sourced/costed the parts and know how much it will cost.
    BTW, a good buddy has 9 points on his license that he got in one single act.
    He was stopped for speeding. He had no valid NCT.
    So, he also ignored the first late fine penalty warning and ended up in court for the speeding fine.
    So, he received 5 points for no NCT and 4 points for the speeding fine.
    9 in one go and 5 of those were for no NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,878 ✭✭✭✭unkel

After it being tested, I dont have enough time to get the money together to get the little bits fixed..... Will have to get a loan.

Well in that case, don't drive it until:

1. You have the money to get it fixed
    2. You have booked the car in and have printed proof of your booking appointment

Or risk 5 penalty points and a €1,500 fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

No on the spot fine for no NCT.. if they catch you it's straight to court.

Possibility of a fine but it's a definite 5 points.

Ye they are more expensive cos have to be inported and thats the delay.... Its a bit of a catch 22. I need to drive, but cant afford to... haha.

****, I never heard of that happening about an NCT. Im just a worrier ya know.. and my luck it wud happen to me.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

What are the "bits" that are so hard to get? Only time I had to import something was a windscreen for a Toyota Corsa. That isn't a misprint. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

I'm gonna go with an Integra. Either that or a possible CRX.

To be fair the "needs to be imported" part for most parts on those cars wont really fly. At most they will need to be imported from the UK, not Japan. And even that is a stretch as Honda's are quite common here and as such, so are the parts.

I do somewhat like the mystery you seem to like surrounding your issue though. Maybe you can dazzle any Gardaí that pull you over with the same intrigue and mystery. Then make good with your escape. :D

• Advertisement

dar83 wrote: »
    I'm gonna go with an Integra. Either that or a possible CRX.

To be fair the "needs to be imported" part for most parts on those cars wont really fly. At most they will need to be imported from the UK, not Japan. And even that is a stretch as Honda's are quite common here and as such, so are the parts.

I do somewhat like the mystery you seem to like surrounding your issue though. Maybe you can dazzle any Gardaí that pull you over with the same intrigue and mystery. Then make good with your escape. :D

Ive to get shocks and stuff. and my handbrake is pulled up too far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Euro R Accord?

Once the letter for rebooking is shown, most are sound enough. As said before, tax and insurance are a gardas main point of interest.

My old car had its nct out a while when I got stopped in it (11 months). Garda even gawked at the screen and didnt say anything about it. Car would never have passed again (then illegal tints and "electrical" issues ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Do you really need to drive it at the moment?

Ye I need to drive at the moment. Like I attend hospital twice a week on the northside.. so no buses get me there from where i live.. its a nightmare.

dgt wrote: »
    Euro R Accord?

Once the letter for rebooking is shown, most are sound enough. As said before, tax and insurance are a gardas main point of interest.

My old car had its nct out a while when I got stopped in it (11 months). Garda even gawked at the screen and didnt say anything about it. Car would never have passed again (then illegal tints and "electrical" issues ;))

Was this recent????

I drive a HRV.... I wish i never bought it now.. but i didnt know i was gonna be left with no job in the end. plus the odd time I need it for space.. its great if i need to get anything anywhere.

Was this recent????

I drive a HRV.... I wish i never bought it now.. but i didnt know i was gonna be left with no job in the end. plus the odd time I need it for space.. its great if i need to get anything anywhere.
    Sorry, all these straws you're clutching at, it's sorta silly. What are you going to do if you get pulled over? "Sorry, these boys and girls on the Internet said it's okay not to have an NCT."

If I were you, I'd pick up something cheap instead of keeping that car running, sounds like it's breaking your bank a iittle. I've said it before, I'll say it again, if you're unemployed you should really watch the cost of things that are breaking your back, which your car seems to be doing.

If you don't want to listen to my advice, fine, your choice, but I am honestly trying to help you out here.

One other note, you can use any car to move stuff if you're determined enough. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

barura wrote: »
    Sorry, all these straws you're clutching at, it's sorta silly. What are you going to do if you get pulled over? "Sorry, these boys and girls on the Internet said it's okay not to have an NCT."

If I were you, I'd pick up something cheap instead of keeping that car running, sounds like it's breaking your bank a iittle. I've said it before, I'll say it again, if you're unemployed you should really watch the cost of things that are breaking your back, which your car seems to be doing.

If you don't want to listen to my advice, fine, your choice, but I am honestly trying to help you out here.

One other note, you can use any car to move stuff if you're determined enough. :)

Exactly.

Cut your losses and buy something small for 500-600 quid.

Here

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2770028

I can guarantee that it will be cheaper to run and insure too. Win win :)

EDIT

Something with a bit more space

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2750674

I posted that Corolla in the bangernomics thread. :P
    Felicia is a cracker if it's all there!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

barura wrote: »
    I posted that Corolla in the bangernomics thread. :P
    Felicia is a cracker if it's all there!

I nicked it from there :P

Felicia is a very underrated and because of that its often a steal price wise

• Advertisement

Similar for the Fabia these days. I wonder what the OP will do.

Advertisement