Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crown Tax Back

Options
  • 28-11-2011 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi
    Could anyone tell me about claiming tax back on a crown while unemployed? I just paid 700 for a crown and the dentist told me I could claim tax back but can I still do this if I am unemployed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

If you pay tax you can claim it back. You can also claim up to 5 years later when your back paying tax. Get a Med II receipt off the dentist and fill in a med 1 next time your doing a return.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭keithg89

I'm on jobseekers allowance now, will I be able to claim it back straight away do you know? Thanks for the quick reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Don't think you pay income tax and Job seekers. You will have to wait until your paying income tax again.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lexa

You can only claim tax back if you paid tax in the year when the expense was incurred. If you paid no tax in 2011 due to unemployment and this is when crown was paid for, then you won't be entitled to tax relief even if you paid tax in 2010 and pay tax in 2012.
    Claims for medical expenses incurred in 2011 can be claimed from 1 January 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

yeah your out of luck,youll have a medical card which doesnt cover crowns and your not entitled to any tax back. gotta just fork it all out :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Breaker19

Yea i concur - have to pay the tax before you can claim it back unfortunately. BTW where did you get it done? good job? I have to get one so i'm looking for advice on where to go guy who did the origional crown made a balls of it!

Advertisement