Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yearly vaccination

Options
  • 28-11-2011 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

OK so December last year I had Giz vaccinated for Cat Flu and infectious enteritis. Didn't get him vaccinated at the time for Leukaemia for multiple reasons. Anyway when he went again to be neutered I got him vaccinated for Leukaemia which was at the end of March and his second one was at the start of April. So what I'm wondering now is if I can wait until, say February, and have the three yearly vaccinations together or if I'll have to get them done separately in December and again in April? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I've always added a few months onto the due date - you should ring your vet and try to find out how far you can stretch it. Some vets will insist that you start the course again if you leave it too late, but I've always found a couple of months is fine.
    There's a growing movement against yearly vaccination, unless you plan to board your cat.
    Also are you sure you need the leukemia? - my vet has dropped it, and says it isn't necessary for adult cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭lilsis

Well he's one now so I assume that's still a young cat. Got him the leukaemia as an extra precaution and I thought he needed it to board (don't know where that idea came from - must have misread something). He will be boarding but only the very odd time. Like once or twice a year at most. Even then I'm hoping to have someone come in and look after him instead if we're away so maybe no boarding at all.

So you think it might be OK to wait? I'll give the vet a ring anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Ask the vet, but be aware that they want your money and will probably tell you to come in twice.
    I'd be more inclined to phone and say - 'my cats vaccinations are 2 months overdue, can he still get the booster?'
    Like I said, I leave it 2 months extra every year - that way I'll eventually save a year:D
    Unless your cat is high risk I wouldn't worry about leukemia anyway, it's very doubtful whether a yearly vacc is necessary.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

With dogs the original course of vaccinations includes the two given in small puppyhood and the following one a year later, these 3 injections combined are the primary course and timing is important. I'm unsure if the same applies to cats or not but I would definitely check that out before going over the time limit as they may need to start over again which is not going to benefit your pocket and in this case the cat may end up over vaccinated which isn't good for them either.

Advertisement