Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go back to college or not?

Options
  • 28-11-2011 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi, I'm 22 and I've just graduated with a 2.1 in Quantity Surveying. I'm currently working (labouring) with my family construction business and I really don't have any interest in looking for a QS job as it doesn't appeal to me at all.

I am contemplating going back to college to do a course like multimedia or something along those lines as I love messing around with IT, music production, photography and the likes. But I'm just wondering is it the right choice for me? I looked at the course in CIT and it's a four year course. Is it worth going back to college for this degree for four years?

All help/advise would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

A lot of colleges do conversion courses into IT that only last a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

As Red Wake says, look into conversion courses. Even emailing the careers offices in UCC and CIT could make bring a wide range of course to light as for some reason it seems to be hard to find info on conversion courses.

And I would say if you have it in your head to go back to college, do it now. The longer you work for, the harder it is to go back - even if you don't like your work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Yeah go for it!

No point being unhappy in your job. Especially now when jobs are scarce it's better to be training and be prepared for when companies are hiring.

Have a look at Springboard courses too. Most of them are in the IT's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 RDJMPC

Def go and aim to do something you'll be happy in! It is booming at the minute and is set to continue in that direction. Alternatively, Quality management is always a good course to do, and it can lead you in many directions too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 david_dsouza

Yeah its worth for you as life is to life is too long. You're just 22 years old, its time to be in collage you're just 1 year late.. This course makes your life great, you earn more and earn reputation as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 fayco

I am 22 too and currently working as a teacher in a secondary school. I really want to be a sound engineer though and i think im going to go back to college in september if i find a suitable course for me. Defo go for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

fayco wrote: »
    I am 22 too and currently working as a teacher in a secondary school. I really want to be a sound engineer though and i think im going to go back to college in september if i find a suitable course for me. Defo go for it!

I'd be cautious of sound engineering, the chances of getting a job in it in any country are very low. Even in a thriving economy it's extremely difficult to find work in. I know three people who all did courses in it and 2 years after finishing still can't get any work in it whatsoever in Ireland or the UK.

Advertisement