Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening presents after Mass on Christmas Eve

Options
  • 28-11-2011 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

Anyone here have this tradition? We've done it in my family for years

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

yes we have done it since our eldest was born 18 years ago and still continue.we open 1 each at 6pm and each one of the children light their candle also.Then we start to prepare the Christmas dinner so the following day is spent enjoying it rather than cooking and missing out in whatever is going on fun wise.:)only started doing the dinner this way a few years ago when i discovered I unintentionally missed out on some facial expressions as certain pressies were open,swore it would never happen again,:D

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sedohre

:eek:

NO!!!!!

Have to open presents on Christmas Day! Christmas Eve is not right! After midnight mass on Christmas Eve your gone through a whole day, your not fresh or you may be tired, you won't have the same energy and sense of anticipation and surprise as you would have when you've just got up.

You can't open presents on Christmas Eve anyway if you have kids, it has to be early morning on Christmas Day. I was very exciting when I was a kid to go to where the tree was in the early hours, once I thought my parents were asleep, usually around 5-6am and sneak into the room to see if Santa had delivered our presents. I was the youngest of my siblings, only by 2+yrs, and I was sometimes sent down the stairs to see if Santa had come. I was supposed to then tell them, but I remember not going back and they thought I was taken by Santa or something bad anyway. It took them about another half an hour to get up the courage to see what was going on. :D

(I think I'll start a new thread asking other of their childhood experiences)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭rainyrun

we used to open presents on christmas eve after midnight mass or after the pub as we got older!! ha ha.. from a large family so it was a great tradition for the older kids to do the christmas eve thing. santa still came to the younger ones and it made christmas special even after the fun of believing in santa claus was over.. you could stay up with the older ones and enjoy xmas eve that way.. plus you got to lie in xmas morning which was actually quite nice after years of getting up at 5 am!!! lol

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

We're always allowed open our "Under the tree presents" Christmas eve after mass! Under the tree presents meant presents from relatives/friends any non Santa present, coz you have to wait till Christmas day for them!
    I like it this way tho, it kinda gets you all excited for presents the next day :D

Advertisement