Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Card

Options
  • 28-11-2011 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if there is an Irish version of the NUS Student Card in the UK, and what it entitles you to, if anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Not that I know of. I wonder if the franchises signed up for the NUS would honour it in Ireland too. Looking at the list of associates there's an awful lot of places that are in Ireland anyway.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

http://www.usit.ie/essentials/discount-cards/usit-card

Student ID gets a discount in a rake of shops but they often don't mention it very loudly, or have all their staff realise. Its usually 10% so you could cover the cost of the card in one big purchase somewhere.

http://www.isic.org/ is the scheme most student cards use to sign up to and often retailers that take NUS in the UK or USIT here will take any ISIC card. I've got discounts in a few stores here with a NUS card.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Not sure if that'll be of use for a lot of people in here. They specify it has to be full time, which most distance courses wouldn't be really.
    Or maybe not? I only had a quick glance at the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Bob1981

There isn't an Irish version but if you are like me and studying with the OU, you can just buy it on the NUS website and they post it out to your Irish address. Cost about £15, I think. I've never had a problem using it over here.

Advertisement