Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CROWN FALLEN OUT...

Options
  • 28-11-2011 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi

I've just had a crown fall out , it seems to be porcelain . There's metal, like in a filling ,attached to the base of it.

Is it unusual for them to fall out ? ( I'm not sure how long ago I got it ,but it was expensive enough)

Is there any good reason why the crown cannot be reused provided surfaces are prepared properly ? I have it in safe-keeping :)

Thanks in advance for advice.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

the life of a crown will be dependent on a number of factors OP, your dental hygiene and if it takes any knocks.

Regarding putting it back in i'm not sure but you'll need your dentist to do it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Sometimes crowns can be recemented. However it sound like the core underneath the filling has come out with the crown. I suppose the most important factor is why it came out, if its is decay related or root fracture related the recemented crown may fall out again quickly. It is unusual for a modern permanently cemented crown to de bond purely due to mechanical forces or cement fracture. Best see a dentists and get and opinion on what the situation is. Best of luck.

Advertisement