Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A1 to A question

Options
  • 27-11-2011 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey all, new here so excuse me if I posted this in the wrong section or this has been answered before (I searched but couldn't find anything similar).

My situation is - I currently have A1 Provisional, and I want to apply for A in July when I turn 18.

The thing is, if I do my IBT and get my FULL A1 now, will this carry over to "A" or will I have to get provisional A and then wait another 6 months to get full license? and does IBT carry over?

Thanks and sorry if this has been answered before :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

Im not entirely sure. But I had an a1 provosional and when I was old enough for an A provisional I went to the motor tax office and explained. They sent off my A1 provisional and I got the A provisional in the post. Set from the date of the change, so I went for the test 4 months later they would only let me do the A1 test. But since I was on a 200cc they told me I would have to wait 2 months and reapply.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

If you move up to the A licence you will need to do modules 2 & 4 of IBT because it will be your first licence in a new category. This is also the case if you do IBT on an automatic and then want to ride a manual bike.
    IBT is nothing to do with the full licence so wait until your 18 and take the full bike test on a bigger bike then you only have to do the test once.
    BTW when did you get your A1 and did you do IBT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 nonlethal

Thanks for the replies and suggestions :)

@Roadskill I got my A1 a month ago, (my car provisional license back in july but too bad that does not count heh)..

And no, haven't done my IBT yet, I guess I am gonna have to wait until i get my A provisional.

Remember that your not allowed to ride on the road unless you have completed your IBT. This has to be done so you have the cert with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 nonlethal

Roadskill wrote: »
    Remember that your not allowed to ride on the road unless you have completed your IBT. This has to be done so you have the cert with you.

How come? Ive been checked at a Garda checkpoint before and they never asked me about IBT (and I was wearing an L jacket)

• Advertisement

It's the law. You are not covered on your insurance unless you have it. If you had an accident you would be in serious trouble.
    Read Here
    http://rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/IBT/IBT_Information_Booklet_Nov_2010.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

You are not covered on your insurance unless you have it. If you had an accident you would be in serious trouble.

Nonsense. An insurance co who issues a Cert under the RTA 1963 (IIRC..) has to honour cover. This was tested in the courts years ago. You will not, and, cannot, be prosecuted for 'no insurance' over this.

If you have an accident, and a claim is made and paid out, the insurance co can sue you in civil court to recoup monies paid out on your policy, for breach if contract/utmost good faith. But they have to honour the cover, and ergo, you are insured.

This is not the UK , and our legal system is different, so don't putting MCN scary stories about, here.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Nonsense. An insurance co who issues a Cert under the RTA 1963 (IIRC..) has to honour cover. This was tested in the courts years ago. You will not, and, cannot, be prosecuted for 'no insurance' over this.

If you have an accident, and a claim is made and paid out, the insurance co can sue you in civil court to recoup monies paid out on your policy, for breach if contract/utmost good faith. But they have to honour the cover, and ergo, you are insured.

This is not the UK , and our legal system is different, so don't putting MCN scary stories about, here.......

I may have worded that incorrectly by saying no insurance but as far as scary stories go I know of many. I do Quinn & Aon assessments and know people who work in some of the claims departments and they will do anything to get out of paying. If he wants to be legal he must do IBT as simple as that. BTW I know this is not the UK as I have lived here for many years. I also know that road traffic law means feck all to most people here. It makes me laugh that nearly everyone I talk to believe the insurance companies are above the law. The most common response I get is they insured me so I must be OK. NO YOUR NOT they will always take your money then blame you later on.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BOF666

I may have worded that incorrectly by saying no insurance but as far as scary stories go I know of many. I do Quinn & Aon assessments and know people who work in some of the claims departments and they will do anything to get out of paying. If he wants to be legal he must do IBT as simple as that. BTW I know this is not the UK as I have lived here for many years. I also know that road traffic law means feck all to most people here. It makes me laugh that nearly everyone I talk to believe the insurance companies are above the law. The most common response I get is they insured me so I must be OK. NO YOUR NOT they will always take your money then blame you later on.:eek:

I work in insurance, and Quinn are notorious for not paying out on claims, but if you hit someone else when you're driving illegally (no ibt, speeding, drunk, etc) they still have to pay the other party. It's like a provisional licence holder having a crash in a car without a full licence holder with them, they're still covered.

They'll probably bring you to court to try and claim the money back off you, but you won't be done for no insurance or anything like that.

Advertisement