Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best time of day to resign

Options
  • 27-11-2011 10:11pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I was just wondering what's the best time of day to hand in your resignation?

I've done it before in the morning and it was a bit weird to say the least with the boss for the rest of the day. The next day he was grand, I just think he might have needed some time to think his next move.

So is in the evening a better time to do it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

High Noon !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Biscuits16

Surely it doesn't matter when you will have to work you're notice period?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,731 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

In some companies: if you do it before midday, that day counts as part of your notice. But if you do it after midday, it doesn't count.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,239 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Biscuits16 wrote: »
    Surely it doesn't matter when you will have to work you're notice period?

I think CatFromHue is only just talking about the day itself. Some managers can take it extremely personally when someone from their team leaves. I've never really thought about it, though I think the last two times I did do it, it was towards the end of the day. Makes sense I suppose.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Eoin wrote: »
    I think CatFromHue is only just talking about the day itself. Some managers can take it extremely personally when someone from their team leaves. I've never really thought about it, though I think the last two times I did do it, it was towards the end of the day. Makes sense I suppose.

Thanks everyone but Eoin's answer is what I was looking for.

I have plenty of time to work my notice just was wondering if anyone had any idea of the best time to actually give your manager your notice. I actually handed it in before in my current job but then he came back and made me a good offer to stay on. I gave it to him in the morning and he was bit off for the rest of the day. The next day he was fine and came back with the offer, which i suppose you could say I couldn't refuse!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Handed it in this afternoon.

I think this was best as my manager was a bit peeved/annoyed that I was leaving. I think it was best to not have that hanging over me for the day!

Advertisement