Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland visitor and surf beginner - Where to learn?

• 27-11-2011 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I'm about to make a dream come true: visiting Ireland! And while I'm at it, I thought I could tackle a second dream: surfing. I'm trying to pick where I should go to learn to surf, and enjoy some of the Irish natural landscape if posible. I've searched a bit online and read about Donegal, Sligo, Tramore, Lahinch... but I'm having trouble making up my mind. Maybe a tip from the more knowledgeable surfers could help?

I won't have much time, just about a week in late december/early january (after spending a couple of days in Dublin). Other possible destinations are Killarney and Galway, so anywhere near there could work. However, I am willing to travel far if I must to reach the appropiate beach.

Another possibility I've considered is heading to Wales, somewhere in the Gower Peninsula maybe, like Rohssili Bay. Any thoughts on Ireland vs Wales, surfing-wise?

Basically, I'm looking for a beach with a surf school (for classes and gear), apt for beginners (but hopefully not too dull), and if the landscape is pretty, so much the better. It would also help if it weren't too expensive (euros are expensive for my argentine pesos wallet!).

On another note, how much progress would you say I can make on just a few days worth? Is it enough time to at least get to stand once?

thanks in advance to anyone who replies! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

good for you dude!
    I'd say sligo. It's a good run from dublin with lots of quality roads and loads of surf schools in sligo, "perfect day" is imo the best one.
    Scenery in Sligo is second to none inspiring Nobel winning Yeats to write his best poetry.
    You should get standing on a foam board in a few sessions
    It's a great dream to have and surfing in ireland is a unique experience and well worth it i hope you have a blast!
    don't forget it's cold waters here at that time of year and check with the surf schools to make sure they're open

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

promethius wrote: »
    good for you dude!
    I'd say sligo. It's a good run from dublin with lots of quality roads and loads of surf schools in sligo, "perfect day" is imo the best one.
    Scenery in Sligo is second to none inspiring Nobel winning Yeats to write his best poetry.
    You should get standing on a foam board in a few sessions
    It's a great dream to have and surfing in ireland is a unique experience and well worth it i hope you have a blast!
    don't forget it's cold waters here at that time of year and check with the surf schools to make sure they're open

Perfectday is a great surf school but the beach is in a bad state with erosion, Bundoran, Surf and Turf would be a good bet hostel across the road and there's always something going on.

the areas where the surf schools have traditionally carried out lessons are further up and down the beach and there's plenty of sand there so no problems they're operating away. they rarely went near those areas where the sand is now gone from since they'd be getting in the way of other surfers. Long may that sand stay away it's created a really nice sand bar off the slip way :D

Bundoran is also a good spot. Could be a good idea to take both in, they're only about half an hour or so apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

Nice

If Surf Mayo are still operating the weekends and the conditions are good, have a surf in Carrowniskey (Louisburgh) outside westport (lovely town). Surf looking out to Clare Island and look at Croagh Patrick when your catching a wave :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 anaturm

Hello, again! Thanks for all your replies, they've already helped me quite a bit. I wrote to the Perfect Day people, and sadly they don't work during december and january due to the weather conditions. I would imagine that would remain the same for other schools if that's the case. Do you know if that's the norm for every surf school? I thought I'd seen that they work "year round" in a few websites. I'll check Surf Mayo and Bandoran now, just in case... thanks again! :D

• Advertisement

you should be able to find one that's open, a lot close as it's cold and very short days that time of year which would put off people new to it, dec can be an epic month around these parts :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,084 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hopefully a few should be open around then. You could also try Lahinch in Co. Clare if you have no luck with any of the other places.

Advertisement