Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fuel efficient bike

Options
  • 27-11-2011 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭

just after totting up fuel expenses for the last 6 months and a little depressed because of it to say the least:(

thinking of replacing some jeep miles with bike miles

was thinking of getting a KTM 690 or something like one for regular local trips here and there.....seen a gasgas supermoto a couple of months back that was very tempting..

on a limited budget, looking for 2nd hand and considering things I wouldn't normally for this

interested in fuel efficiency, low servicing cost and ease of servicing, reasonable spare parts...+ a tough dependable machine

what would ye recommend...whats the most reasonably priced fuel efficent bike out there that could handle a little (very undemanding ) off road stuff as well ...would consider a 250, etc

as long as its not a cruiser:eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

What about a dominator? You'll pick one up cheap enough, good for commuting, will be much much cheaper to run than a ktm or gas gas.
    Had one before, great engine, 650 single so sound great.

2 on done deal
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/2405743
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/2648241

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭amacca

Paparazzo wrote: »
    What about a dominator? You'll pick one up cheap enough, good for commuting, will be much much cheaper to run than a ktm or gas gas.
    Had one before, great engine, 650 single so sound great.

2 on done deal
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/2405743
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/2648241

yep thats the kind of machine I'm looking for .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

amacca wrote: »
    yep thats the kind of machine I'm looking for .....

Have you ever had a motorbike before? Have you got the full licence ?

dev100 wrote: »
    Have you ever had a motorbike before? Have you got the full licence ?

thats an emphatic yes and yes from me!:D

Sportsbikes me likey............fuel efficient commuters/hacks that can do a bit of offroad etc....I'm not ashamed to admit are outside of my area of expertise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

I've got a KTM 690 SM, and it's very handy on juice, 15 euro to fill the tank and I get about 130 miles of the tank (mostly city driving), less if I'm thrashing it, more on the open road.

The downside of the KTM (and most supermoto's) is the short service intervals, on mine it's every 3k miles, with the major ones at 6k, which isn't great for commuting. They are fun though :D

The dominator, bm 650, transalp etc. will be much cheaper to run if that's the main priority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I'm looking to change, myself, and trading from a GSXR750 to something along those lines too - saw a nice 700 Deauville today..........

My SO used to ride and F650, and that will do 65mpg+ all day. The newer twins do, too....better, even.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I sound like a carbon copy of you! I have a landcruiser and an '88 Dominator
    I get good enough mileage from it, around 5.8l per 100km
    They are a great engine, torquey and easily serviced and have a great record for reliability.
    The newer fuel injected singles like the XT660Z are reportedly getting excellent economy figures, 72mpg average for one guy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I drive a Suzuki GS500. I can't really fault it. Not sure it's your style of bike though.

It's fuel efficient and reliable. I do mostly city driving and achieve around 45mpg. Much better on the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭positron

I am getting 4.3L/100km (about 63/64 mpg) from an 03 Fazer. Is that any good for your off-road?

You'll probably pick up an africa twin for cheap enough too. Prefer the dominator myself though.

• Advertisement

You'll probably pick up an africa twin for cheap enough too. Prefer the dominator myself though.
    Those AT's are making handy money all the time.
    You don't see many cheap ones!

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Those AT's are making handy money all the time.
    You don't see many cheap ones!

Bit of a cult following?
    Guy who bought my dommie loved it, he was back in contact about a month later asking if he knows of any more for sale because his mate wanted one too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Ex-Dommie owner here too.

Nice enough bike if you get a cheap one.

If you drive them hard it'll eat oil, chains and sprockets.

Here's a few of my old Dommie.. Great ol' craic of a bike.

182923.jpg

182926.jpg

182927.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Jesus maki going by that first pic you look about 12. Insurance must have been crazy

Bit of a cult following?
    Guy who bought my dommie loved it, he was back in contact about a month later asking if he knows of any more for sale because his mate wanted one too!
    Yeah, they tend to gather Touratechies:D
    Dommies had a 12yearm production run IIRC and the engine is still around in the Vigor/FMX so it must be OK.
    The early ones had the most grunt and they got weaker as they got older and more emissions based stuff was added.
    Older ones can give problems with the CDI, but replacements are cheap and make a big difference.

positron wrote: »
    I am getting 4.3L/100km (about 63/64 mpg) from an 03 Fazer. Is that any good for your off-road?

yeah..in fairness the off road will be light and could probably be done on my sportsbikes!

I just like the supermoto/offroad style of bike a little more than a naked or indeed faired fazer....but its definitely something to consider though if it comes cheap

love the thump of a single and was thinking if I got the dominator as suggested and it was an older one I could ride it to within an inch of its life and then give it a bit of a refresh like the below:D

honda%20dominator%20nx650%20.jpeg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1284548197595

was thinking of an sv650 either...love the whack of them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭aurin07

Have had both the sv650 and the 690smc..

The 690 is more fun.. cheaper to run.. More expensive to insure.
    Sv650 harder on juice. Cheeper to service. Cheap to insure. More practical..

By right a 690 smc (i know the sm/smr are safer bets) are a better bike to commute but come with shiote brakes/suspension in comp to the smc..

SV would be the best bet dude..

DSC_0011-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

seanybiker wrote: »
    Jesus maki going by that first pic you look about 12. Insurance must have been crazy

lol, that was my son Kevin.

I thought I'd a photo somewhere of him hugging my waist whilst we were on the back wheel of a CBR1000F - yup, he's pretty fearless :D

Advertisement