Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog shows

Options
  • 27-11-2011 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭

Hi there! I am in a mood of planning out my future (as you do! :P) and when I finish college, have a place of my own, and start to earn money, I would love to get involved in showing dogs.

I have always had a great love for animals, and am studying veterinary nursing. I have another 1-2 years left in this course, so that's why I decided to come looking for advice now - so I can be well prepared! I have images of my future containing a few Great Danes and Shar-Pei (my 2 favourite breeds!) and while I love just having dogs as pets, I'd love to take it that one step further and get involved in the shows and everything that surrounds it (genetics, proper training etc.)

I have only one problem with my future dreams - I really do not understand the world of showing dogs! I have a slight understanding, in that there are different classes, different awards etc. But, I find it really hard to find a good online guide to the world of showing.

I am a bit of a lurker in this forum, and from what I gather there are a few posters here involved in showing dogs so I would just like to ask a couple of questions if ye don't mind!
    How did ye first get involved in showing? Was it a family thing or just got the notion one day to parade around your dog? :D
    Are there any guides or books to showing? Or first hand experiences :P Like what are the different ribbon colours, are there different types of shows for higher rankings? (eg. crufts?)
    Is it easy for someone as an ''outsider'' with no real experience of showing dogs to get involved in this, or is it a sort of 'old boys club'.

Thanks in advance! Sorry for the long post :P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

there is a big show on in the national show centre in swords on Stephens day, you should go and have a look and talk to people. My da is big into it, showing and judging and most of our family holidays and weekends as a kid revolved around dog shows, i did it a bit myself when i was younger too. its great crack

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Well I can't help you I'm afraid but I may, or may not have my own little show prospect arriving in a few months (depending on what comes out of a litter that's due in the next few weeks). So I'm also very interested in seeing the answers you get. The breeder of this particular litter has been very successful in the show-ring and I imagine a lot of advice and support will come directly from them. From what I can see the best breeders are very proud of the dogs and have a continued interest in their progress long after they have moved on to pastures new. ;)

There is some information on the UK kennel club website to get you started. I don't own this book yet but it looks like it gives a comprehensive overview on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Just on my phone so sending a quick reply now.there isnt a show on stephens day, its on the 27th. I can recommend breeders in both of those breeds if you like.
    There are few sites to help you about showing that gives you info on shows with dates, entries for shows and results etc.
    Www.dogshowentry.ie www.showdogsireland.com www.irishcaninepress.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Thanks for that book recommendation adrenalinjunkie, I know what's going to be added to the top of my Christmas list! :P What kind of puppy are you getting? :)

Thanks Andrea, it won't be for a few years that I'll be actually going out buying a dog but I would love a few breeder recommendations so I can do some more research well in advance :) I think I've read every on line article and several breed books for both the breeds and I'm totally smitten by them.

I'm going to keep an eye out for any local shows coming up.
    If anyone knows any dog shows coming up in the Munster (Clare/Limerick preferably!) region, please let me know!! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Thanks for that book recommendation adrenalinjunkie, I know what's going to be added to the top of my Christmas list! :P What kind of puppy are you getting? :)

Sheltie, I like them small enough to sit beside me on the couch ;)

• Advertisement

Aww they are a lovely breed! From what research I've been doing, I may be sharing my couch with a Great Dane too - I've heard they are the worlds biggest lapdog!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Q1-How did ye first get involved in showing?
    Q2-Was it a family thing or just got the notion one day to parade around your dog?
    Q3-Are there any guides or books to showing? Or first hand experiences :P Like what are the different ribbon colours, are there different types of shows for higher rankings? (eg. crufts?)
    Q4-Is it easy for someone as an ''outsider'' with no real experience of showing dogs to get involved in this, or is it a sort of 'old boys club'.

Thanks in advance! Sorry for the long post :P

Hows it going SillyMango, I show my Rottweiler Buddy, well I show now and then, whenever I can that is. I work shoft work which is not good at lending itself to giving me weekends off work to attend as many shows as I would like.

Q1-I first got into/ thought about showing when I was looking at buying Buddy. It had never even entered my head on would I show. From coming on here and talking to Andreac who is a great help and a dab hand at the show game! I am still a novice at the showing and have only shown at two! By the end of the year i'll have another 2 under my belt! Ive since then got my second Rottie Izzy and next year I will next year be at a lot more shows and am hoping to do well with her.
    Q2-Yeah pretty much a notion that I would show, not a family thing but that said the show days are really a family day out for dog lovers even if your not showing!
    Q3-I didnt actually look for any guides on showing I just asked Andreac EVERYTHING and more I think :o
    Q4-Yes and no. Yeah it is easy for anyone to just turn up and show your dog, but I would recommend as I did go to 1 or 2 shows before you actually have entered your dog into a show to see how everything on the day goes. There are definitely the old school groups at the shows, but in fairness everyone who I have met have all said hello at some point and they do give you tips about what to do in the ring on the day

Hope this helps :D

Thanks for those answers garkane, very helpful :). I've seen some pictures of your Buddy over on the picture thread (I'm not a stalker, I swear!! :P) he's a beauty!!

I'm definitely going to look into going to some shows in the next few years, just to get a feel of things and see if it is definitely something I want to get involved in. (but I really do think it is :D)

Do you know if there is much of a difference in shows here and over in England? I've a brother in London so was thinking I might go and see if I can find a show when I'm over there next too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Thanks for your lovely comments about Buddy :D

Andreac is the person you'd want to be asking about the shows in England I know she has been across a couple of times with her Rottie Cooper!!

I do think its pretty much the same though, there could be a few slight differences.

Advertisement