Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my dog really isn't well :(

Options
  • 27-11-2011 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

hey everybody does anybody here have and experience on epilepsy in dogs??
    my poor dog was having convulsions this mourning and had foam coming from her mouth, it was very scary to see,
    i am thinking maybe epilepsy?
    I will be bringing her straight to the vets in the morning, but until then im afraid to leave her on her own,
    any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

gumpy2 wrote: »
    my poor dog was having convulsions this mourning and had foam coming from her mouth, it was very scary to see,
    I will be bringing her straight to the vets in the morning, but until then im afraid to leave her on her own,

Ring your vet immediately, all vets provide out of hours emergency service. It'l either be your own vet or a number of a nearby practice that they share out of hours with on the answering machine. Seizures can be caused by a number of things poisoning and epilepsy being some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭gumpy2

cheers for your reply, i doubt poisoning as she sleeps in the house and shes 4 so no a puppy, i tried ucd emergency clinic, but its just a pre recorded message and you leave your name and number?????

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

OP, your dog needs to see a vet asap. Call your own practice, and they should have an emergency cover number for you to call. If it's UCD, then leave your name and number, they will get back to you.
    As Zapperzy said, this could be anything: poisoning is not confined to pups, she could have picked something up anywhere. The problem is that seizures indicate a few different problems, most of them serious enough to warrant immediate veterinary intervention.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Sorry for your troubles. Must be very scary. It could be something else: poisoning. There should be a vet on call. Try & take your pet to one today :(
    Get well soon pet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

My vet has a prerecorded message too, but I had a call back in under an hour when I had an emergency. Leave your name and number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

gumpy2 wrote: »

+1 on ringing your vet today if you can.
    this happened to a dog i had before, just the once thank god. we were asleep and woke up to him shaking, when i went to him it was like he didnt know me, it only lasted bout 2 minutes but it was the longest 2 mins of my life, i was so frightened for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭gumpy2

cheers guys, i already left my details on ucd's answering machine, so hopefully the wait wont be too long :confused:

it was very scary stuff, she did get onto my bed to have the fit, and pee;d during the fit, but i basically was cradling over her on the bed for about 1 minute, she is quite a muscular little dog so convulsions where very violent, followed by the foam, and her not knowing what was going on for a further minute or 2 after the seizure, and then her poor eyes looking up at me, it was awful

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

That's just dreadful; how frightening. My vets number is ( Dublin) 847 8992
    He always has the vet on call number on his voicemail if his surgery is closed ; try ringing that and getting the number from it for the vet on call. The others In UCD may not get back to you today :(
    Good luck:$

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭AL 555

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Smeefa

Sorry to hear that OP hopefully its nothing too serious..

My fellah is epileptic, he was diagnosed when he was around 3, was on tablets for a while but they made him depressed.

We decided to try and see what it was that triggers the fits - turns out it was artificial colourings in his food. Once we changed his diet and are careful he doesnt manage to get his paws on anything he shouldnt he was fine.

He hasnt fitted in years now and is still going strong at the age of 14.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

How is your dog? xx

Advertisement