Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Smell of burn after momentary loss of power

Options
  • 27-11-2011 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

2002 323F 1.6L

Driving down a hill in 4th with foot off the throttle, and I could feel the car being held back (more than it should be due to engine braking alone). I'm almost sure that the engine malfunction flashed in the dash for a split second (but it didn't register any error codes on the OBD). This was followed almost straight away by a smell of burn. This exact same thing happened coming down the same hill on the previous night!!

30 seconds after I park the car up with the engine idling, the cooling fan comes on (way before it should in my opinion). The temp gauge position is normal. Flow and return hoses to radiator are both hot. Hot air coming out of the dash vents with heater on (as normal). Coolant level in the rad and reservoir ok. Engine oil level at 3/4 mark on dipstick. Air/con turned off.

What could be causing this? The only thing I noticed was a ticking noise stopping and starting every few seconds. I could only hear this noise when the engine was at idle, and it was coming from the area where the air intake feeder pipe meets the throttle/fuel injection system. Is this the vacuum switch? (this "ticking" part has hoses going off to a black canister mounted on the bulkhead).

Any advice welcome. :confused: (one other thing... the Check Engine light comes on about once a week for code P0420 (Catalyst System Efficiency below threshold (Bank1)). This has been happening for months now, but it just needs a new lambda sensor. I've been putting it off as Mazda parts are expensive. I erase the code every now and then to make sure no new codes are logged.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

Hello

I have a 2001 Avensis, I have a problem with warning lights flickering. I was told it may be the alternator going faulty. The warning lights dont flicker at higher speeds, only at lower speeds. Just you mention lights flickering, may be of some help. I have yet to confirm if the alternator is faulty.

best of luck with car

• Registered Users Posts: 39 paul8f

Turns out the front offside disc brake caliper is sticking. Well, that's part of the problem at least...

In the long term, I suppose it's better to replace the caliper rather than getting it cleaned and re-lubed (..and then hoping for the best..).

Advertisement