Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegal prescription drug use

Options
  • 27-11-2011 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello there,

My girlfriend recently bought amoxicillin from a pharmacy in Spain (it's available over the counter there). I'm seriously worried about her as she's taking it far too often. Since it's a prescription drug here in Ireland, is it illegal for her to use it?

Thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Aren't those antibiotics? Get her to see a doctor if she needs one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 pikminman

MarkR wrote: »
    Aren't those antibiotics? Get her to see a doctor if she needs one.

Yes they are, she has a slight tickle in her throat so she decided to take them instead of going to a doctor. I just want to know if it's illegal to try and make her stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

At some point wont she just run out?

Zambia wrote: »
    At some point wont she just run out?

She goes to Spain every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

pikminman wrote: »
    Yes they are, she has a slight tickle in her throat so she decided to take them instead of going to a doctor.

Plead with her to read this page.

If she continues, you're within your rights to flush her pills down the toilet. People who insist on taking antibiotics when they are not medically indicated are creating immense dangers for the rest of us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

It would be illegal for her to import it. It might also be illegal to posess it depending on the quantity. If she has over a months supply without a prescription she could find herself arrested for possession with intent to sell or supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

the amount of this kind of thing in this country is shocking. i have seen people use other peoples medical cards to see a doctor so they can get more of the prescription they want. i know some who pass these drugs around like a bowl of skittles. they seem to think it is fine to self medicate. it is a dangerous thing to get into as there can be lasting side affects to taking these if the person is not actually needing them. they will become dependent on them. tell your girlfriend to see a doctor for her ailment and flush the pills and if it was my girlfriend i would also tell her stop self medicating or i'm gone. I couldn't watch someone do that to themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

pikminman wrote: »
    Yes they are, she has a slight tickle in her throat so she decided to take them instead of going to a doctor. I just want to know if it's illegal to try and make her stop.

No wonder she has a slight tickle in her throat she must have no immune system if she's reliant on them instead of seeing a doctor or better resting, if she does this she will have to see a doctor anyway those same anti biotics won't continue to work over time.

If she is worried about paying to see a doctor I wouldn't worry I've had bronchitis, tonsilitis, flu and many colds over the years and only 2 times ive take anti-b's; for tonsils that didn't clear up after a week and a half and a large infected wound in my foot.

Its not illegal to make her stop, discard the pills, if she becomes very anxious and defensive I would be worried why would she become distressed about pills for minor ailments?

I think you legal worries are over once she has passed through customs, but next year she might not be let through, well unless she declared them.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

Maybe she should spit out the "pills"and it might sort out get addiction. Or take some thing to get her off it like Trimicox

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Unless she's drinking a bottle a day I doubt she's addicted . A lot of people are self medicating these days to try and cut down the prohibitive cost of going to the doctor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Unless she's drinking a bottle a day I doubt she's addicted . A lot of people are self medicating these days to try and cut down the prohibitive cost of going to the doctor

That's bull****. It's a dangerous and stupid thing to do. The doctor is only costly if you go to him for every little cough or cold you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Taking antibiotics regularly for a "tickle in the throat" is so completely brainless it's hard to believe. Not only are they likely to be completely useless, in a healthy young person antibiotics should only be taken very sparingly for moderate to serious infections. She's putting herself at risk of numerous nasty conditions if she doesn't stop.

Amoxycillin isn't addictive in the true since of the word but if she is "addicted" to them then that's an issue in itself. Try and get her to stop. It's in her best interests.

As for the self medicating argument, rubbish. She shouldn't need to go to the doctor for a tickle in the throat anyway.

It's really not the legal side of things I'd be worried about here at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

No it's not bull**** there is no way she could bring home enough of a years supply of a cough bottle in a trip to spain to satisfy an addiction . That's a Fact also Magicsean I suggest you are not living in the real world if you think people are not going to the doctor because of the cost . Well maybe you have a government job or even one of the doctors that are screwing the public with there high prices .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

No it's not bull**** there is no way she could bring home enough of a years supply of a cough bottle in a trip to spain to satisfy an addiction . That's a Fact also magician I suggest you are not living in the real world if you think people are not going to the doctor because of the cost . Well maybe you have a government job or even one of the doctors that are screwing the public with there high prices .
    It's not an addiction, but it certainly is dangerous and stupid. The simple fact is that nobody needs antibiotics for a cold and you don't need to see your doctor every time you get a 'tickle' in your throat.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    you're within your rights to flush her pills down the toilet.
    Don't do this. Take them to a pharmacy for proper disposal.

This is great, thank you everybody. I'll try to get her to stop

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

No it's not bull**** there is no way she could bring home enough of a years supply of a cough bottle in a trip to spain to satisfy an addiction . That's a Fact also Magicsean I suggest you are not living in the real world if you think people are not going to the doctor because of the cost . Well maybe you have a government job or even one of the doctors that are screwing the public with there high prices .

Amoxycillin isn't a cough bottle. Case in point, if you can't tell a cough bottle from an antibiotic it makes the self medicating argument in itself. Doctors fees are irrelevant, a healthy young person shouldn't be going to the doctor with every little tickley cough they have anyway.

Anyway all this has been said already, good luck to the OP.

Advertisement