Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CTRL not working

Options
  • 26-11-2011 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am using a Samsung notebook but the CTRL button is not working when I want to select multiple files in file manager. The Shift button is working fine. It also doesn't seem to be working when copying and pasting text in Word

Any thoughts
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭The Internet Explorer

Can't offer you much help other than this unfortunately...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it's not unusual for a laptop key to get something stuck under it to prevent it from working (crisps, snot, bits of fingernail, you name it). does the key still go down the same as the other keys?

do you have another ctrl key on the other side of the keyboard? does that still work?

you could try (obviously with the computer turned OFF) lifting the computer upside down and blowing the area around the problem key as hard as you can. watch your eyes though as stuff is liable to fall out and land on your eyeballs and i don't want to be responsible for blinding you. :)

it's quite possible that you might need to take it off to have alook at it, they do usually just pop off with a bit of leverage and are easy enough to get on again once you have the knack of it, but i should warn you that the plastic bits under the key that make it work are quite often fairly flimsy and there is a distinct possibility that if you get it off you might damage something and not be able to get it back on again.

there are lots of guides on youtube showing you how to remove and replace a laptop key and you can buy replacements cheaply on ebay as well for a couple of quid, should the need arise.

obviously all of this you are doing at your own risk and i can't take any responsibility for any damage you might potentially do, i'm just giving you some options. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Cheers - neither of the CTRL keys are working for some reason so it wouldn't be dirt (unless a HUGE coincidence)

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭quaidox

plug an external usb keyboard into the laptop and see if the ctrl keys work on that. if they do then the onboard keyboard is physically faulty, and you could buy a can of compressed air and give it a blast, and if that doesn't work you will have to buy a new keyboard for it. they are fairly easy to swap in, just be careful not to damage to small connector cable for the trackpad that connects it to the main system board.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

an external keyboard is a good idea. it might also be worth checking to see if the keyboard region type has been changed in your settings in control panel. are any other keys behaving differently than normal?

another option might be to uninstall the keyboard driver in device manager and then re-scan for new devices and let it re-install the driver from scratch and see if that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

spilling liquids on the keyboard will almost certainly kill it in the manner you described. make sure someone in your household isnt lying to you when they say they didnt spill anything on it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I'd say someone has accidentally deleted the keystroke shortcut for it, try a restore to before it started happening and see if it works.

21/25

Advertisement