Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting A Degree - Distance Learning

Options
  • 26-11-2011 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I was recently accepted to study for a degree with the College of Estate Management through the University of Reading in the UK.

I just received log in details etc. yesterday and had a look around the student area of the website where it lists study papers, assignments, lecture notes etc.

To be honest I'm completely overwhelmed and scared about whether I'll be able to ever get to grips with all this studying!!

Please tell me that this is normal and that everyone experiences this feeling of panic at first?? Will it get easier as I familiarise myself with all of the coursework etc. and put a structured study plan in place?

What did you do when you began studying, how did you feel at first, and how is it going now??

Thanks!

Comments

It's normal to be overwhelmed at the start of a course. Particularly if you have been out of the study mode for years or if it's completely new to you. The best advice I can offer is to make a start reading early on, but don't feel like you have to read a book a week.

Just do yourself a favour and don't look at the exam papers any time soon, as I always found that's an easy way to freak yourself out as you think you'll never be able to answer any of them even before you've covered the work!

Finally, perhaps contact your tutor if you have one or the lecturers themselves? I'd imagine they have an idea of how much you should be spending each week. A realistic figure, while taking into account that you are doing it part-time.

Best of luck with the course by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

Hi All,

I was recently accepted to study for a degree with the College of Estate Management through the University of Reading in the UK.

I just received log in details etc. yesterday and had a look around the student area of the website where it lists study papers, assignments, lecture notes etc.

To be honest I'm completely overwhelmed and scared about whether I'll be able to ever get to grips with all this studying!!

Please tell me that this is normal and that everyone experiences this feeling of panic at first?? Will it get easier as I familiarise myself with all of the coursework etc. and put a structured study plan in place?

What did you do when you began studying, how did you feel at first, and how is it going now??

Thanks!

Steve,
    I am aware of the College of Estate Management.
    Very tough courses but the good news is that they are arguably the best construction related course around and the college is highly regard in the UK.
    Best of Luck the beginning of great things, what are you studying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Hi All,

Thanks!

Only started this Sept with the OU. I'd previously had two years in UCD so I wasn't completely new to the idea of 3rd level, even so, I was pretty overwhelmed to begin with.
    The best advice I think I can give is utilize the social/support network that your institution has in place. Misery apparently loves company, but there was a group of us in Sept who found each other and who gave a lot of positive reinforcement to each other and it helped us all enormously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

From studying Open University I can say it is confusing, and alot of other students say the same thing

Read everything a number of times, and study guides also need a thorough read. Try and meet up with fellow students in your area (if possible) and keep in contact with your tutor.

Best of luck, distance education is always hard but stick with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

SWL wrote: »
    Steve,
    I am aware of the College of Estate Management.
    Very tough courses but the good news is that they are arguably the best construction related course around and the college is highly regard in the UK.
    Best of Luck the beginning of great things, what are you studying.

BSc in Estate Management. Cheers for the reply. I hear that the CEM has a good reputation alright, and the course I'm studying is also endorsed by the RICS.
    Nevore wrote: »
    Only started this Sept with the OU. I'd previously had two years in UCD so I wasn't completely new to the idea of 3rd level, even so, I was pretty overwhelmed to begin with.
    The best advice I think I can give is utilize the social/support network that your institution has in place. Misery apparently loves company, but there was a group of us in Sept who found each other and who gave a lot of positive reinforcement to each other and it helped us all enormously.

Thanks. I also spent 2 years in 3rd level (DCU) a few years ago, before taking a 'year out' and never going back! I was studying a completely different subject at the time and I think I only chose it because I had to choose something to apply for when finishing school!
    mbiking123 wrote: »
    From studying Open University I can say it is confusing, and alot of other students say the same thing

Read everything a number of times, and study guides also need a thorough read. Try and meet up with fellow students in your area (if possible) and keep in contact with your tutor.

Best of luck, distance education is always hard but stick with it

Thanks. When I first skimmed over just a fraction of the material to cover I really thought to myself "this is going to be impossible" but as I've read more and more I'm starting to get to grips with what's expected and how I'm going to tackle assignments etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Thanks. I also spent 2 years in 3rd level (DCU) a few years ago, before taking a 'year out' and never going back! I was studying a completely different subject at the time and I think I only chose it because I had to choose something to apply for when finishing school!
    Ditto. I've gone from Economics to Science. :D

Advertisement