Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training cats off the litter tray?

Options
  • 26-11-2011 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

I have now got two lovely wee Cattins ! When we got them they were 15week old kittens - and they have grown well but arn't quite Cats yet!!

They have settled in well with us, eating well, becoming more and more affectionate and interactive as time goes on.

We fitted a cat flap and they have taken to it well, and are enjoying our garden - even if one did manage to get 'stuck' up the tree and needed to be talked down :)

They arrived fully litterbox trained by their mammy, and we have only had one accident when they got stuck in a room one afternoon.

But now that they have full access to outside I would like to move them off the litter tray and let them just use the garden... but I dont know how? Should I just get rid of the litter tray .... or move it to the garden for a while ... or ? ? ?

Anyone any experience of this....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

You might want to wait till after the winter, a lot of cats will pee in a corner before they'll go out in bad weather... unless you provide them with a nice, freshly dug raised bed just outside the back door;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

With my older cat (hes nearly 3 now) he came fully litter trained as a kitten too. It took a couple of days but on the warmer days we left him outside for a few hours and eventually he learned to use the garden soil as his bathroom as he couldn't use the litter box inside.

Another method is to remove the litter box during the day and keep a watch on the kittens if possible, If they start sniffing the ground or meowing alot thats usually a sign they need to use the toilet so you should take them outside when they show the symptoms. It takes a few days but they'll eventually catch on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I say keep the litter tray but perhaps move it outside or to a shed they have access to. It can be a pain for neighbours having strange cats pooping in their garden and a big hassle if you ever want to grow anything youself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 magrat

Thanks for the input ...

I am going to go down the line of keeping them outside and removing the litter tray for a while ... I dont want to always have a litter tray as I hate cleaning it - and despite the kids loving the cats its me who cleans up the poo!

DrE - I live in a very rural area so no worries about the neighbours gardens - it will be our own or one of the fields around us!!

Advertisement