Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NIAS Paramedic in Training - Interview Prep

Options
  • 26-11-2011 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hey all,

I'm soo nervous - I have an interview with the NIAS for the Paramedic in Training Programme in a week. I have no previous specific medical / care experience but I've always wanted to be a Paramedic since I was little.

Can anyone help with advice on how to prepare for the interview, maybe what areas to concentrate on, or what qualities they might be looking for etc? I dont even know where to start :(

Any help / advice is greatly appriecated!

Thanks in advance!

Miss Gee

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mad1c

Hi MissGee, looks like your post's getting plenty of views but no replies, I'd say the best source of help or hints would probably be lads that are in the job already, might be worth calling to your local ambulance base and chatting to the crews..

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

MissGee wrote: »
    Hey all,

I'm soo nervous - I have an interview with the NIAS for the Paramedic in Training Programme in a week. I have no previous specific medical / care experience but I've always wanted to be a Paramedic since I was little.

Can anyone help with advice on how to prepare for the interview, maybe what areas to concentrate on, or what qualities they might be looking for etc? I dont even know where to start :(

Any help / advice is greatly appriecated!

Thanks in advance!

Miss Gee

I don't know anything about the NIAS interview process to be completely honest, but I would imagine you would need to be able to discuss some of the following areas as in any interview

Ambulance service structure and organisation
    Your strengths and weaknesses
    Your ability to think under pressure, work as part of a team, make decisions quickly using limited information, etc.
    Why you want to become a Paramedic
    Current healthcare reforms/reconfigurations underway
    Professionalism, commitment to CPD
    Ability to follow guidelines/protocols

Skills they would be looking for would be things like leadership, ability to work under pressure, using initiative, ability to think on your feet, problem solving, empathy, listening/communication skills, commitment/dedication.

Your best bet would be to try and talk to a relatively newly qualified NIAS Paramedic, who would have knowledge of the most recent recruitment process prior to this. Try ringing/visiting stations to see if you can find someone to talk to.

Hope this helps in some way, best of luck in the interview!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mad1c

How did your interview go??

Advertisement