Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N40 Strange road signs at Kinsale Road Roundabout

• 26-11-2011 10:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hello! Has anyone else noticed the strange new road signs on the South Ring in Cork, specifically at the Kinsale Rd R/bout? They're black, have a picture of a truck, and say "City Centre" and "Cork (north)" on them? What's Cork (north) like?! Cork (north) is signposted in the direction of the City Link.

There's another one at the bottom of Airport Hill signposted Cork (south) towards the Sarsfields R/bout?

I have a pic, just can't figure out how to add from my phone:/
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Thanks for reminding me. These were installed very quickly and are very prominent. They are also very dark; almost black:

35aec225.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Is it really that odd OP to have signs for HGVs, and specifically ones that may have come via the N28, pointing out the most suitable routes to the CC/northside?

Is it any more odd then having Cork City (south) on the approaches from the M8/N25 to the JLT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭buachailldana

Is it really that odd OP to have signs for HGVs, and specifically ones that may have come via the N28, pointing out the most suitable routes to the CC/northside?

Is it any more odd then having Cork City (south) on the approaches from the M8/N25 to the JLT?

I just thought a few things were a bit odd!
    1) The signs are black! Not green or white or anything else.
    2) Signposting HGV's to Cork (NORTH) via the South Link N27 will direct big vehicles directly into the City Centre, and there's no further signage then once you get on the Link? Are they expected to traverse Patrick St then to get to the Northside? Weird!
    3) Where exactly is Cork (North)? Seems a bit vague, of course, I accept your point that this applies to Cork (South) signs at the JLT too..

Pic attached.

They're standard advisory route signs for lorries in the UK.

022.gif

I've noticed several other new signs appear in recent days as well, there is now new a warning sign for the "corkscrew" off the N4 west to M50 North.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭runway16

They have similar signs here in Dublin too. I believe there may be a couple on the M1/M50 citybound before the tunnel. I've seen them elsewhere too, just cant think of an exact location. Nothing unusual about them, they may just be new to Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

they may be only temporary during the road works and showing local routes for turcks as opposed to the local routes they may have been using which might not be availble due to the roadwoirks. Does that make ANY sense?:confused:

corktina wrote: »
    they may be only temporary during the road works and showing local routes for turcks as opposed to the local routes they may have been using which might not be availble due to the roadwoirks. Does that make ANY sense?:confused:
    No, they're permanent, just look at the poles, they're set in concrete and the path made up. Another step towards EU road sign standardization.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

There is one opposite the bus station too signed for Cork South pointing towards Anderson's Quay, Also Patrick Street cannot be accessed from the N20 due to the No right turn so I'm expecting to see a Cork Centre sign by Copley Street/Old Station Road.

No, they're permanent, just look at the poles, they're set in concrete and the path made up. Another step towards EU road sign standardization.

We wish..

Its an Irish effort without a doubt...:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

Black signs for HGVs? I stand to be corrected but I think they're just a UK thing.

Regardless of whether they are or not, I don't know what you're talking about. Directional road signs vary widely in EU member states and there's been no attempt to harmonise them.

Global attempts at standardisation of prohibitory and warning signs have nothing to do with the EU.

• Advertisement

They appear to be a new innovation, I certainly don't remember seeing them in the UK when I lived there. Whether it's just a UK/IRL thing or EU wide, I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

charlemont wrote: »
    There is one opposite the bus station too signed for Cork South pointing towards Anderson's Quay, Also Patrick Street cannot be accessed from the N20 due to the No left turn so I'm expecting to see a Cork Centre sign by Copley Street/Old Station Road.

No right turn is that? From the quays via Christy Ring Bridge?

corktina wrote: »
    No right turn is that? From the quays via Christy Ring Bridge?

Sorry, Yea, Right is correct, As you face Merchants Quay with Patrick's Bridge on the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,491 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but they are there for over-height vehicles that can't use the tunnels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Victor wrote: »
    Sorry to drag up an old thread, but they are there for over-height vehicles that can't use the tunnels.

What tunnels in Cork City would they be ?

What tunnels in Cork City would they be ?

The South City Link Road is the alternative route to the Jack Lynch Tunnel. https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=jack+lynch+tunnel&hl=en&ll=51.896828,-8.393467&spn=0.006779,0.021136&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hnear=Jack+Lynch+Tunnel,+County+Cork&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=51.896828,-8.393467&panoid=uCywieBmyLJ-deep3ZJdVA&cbp=12,1.5,,0,-8.31 just as the other signs mark the alternative route for the Dublin Port Tunnel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Surely there's no standard sized articulated lorry which is too tall for the Jack Lynch Tunnel :confused:

Surely there's no standard sized articulated lorry which is too tall for the Jack Lynch Tunnel :confused:
    'Supercubes' (tall enough for two levels of grocery cages) are too tall.

www.corkcoco.ie/co/pdf/567792338.doc
    Note: An absolute maximum height limit of 4.6m applies to the Jack Lynch Tunnel on N40 Cork Southern Ring Road and a separate permit is required from Cork City Council for this route.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/latest-motorway-tunnel-too-low-for-supertrucks-25901022.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Is this sign in the tsm?

Surely a blue sign directing traffic > a limit would be better

Or even height limits on the black sign?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭kub

The reason those signs were put up by the Kinsale ropad roundabout as the original OP asked was because:

Musgraves main hub for Ireland is on the old Kinsale Road which runs parallel to The South City Link Road.

On this road there was a bridge which had to be rebuilt late last year due to some foundation problems. Normal traffic was re routed around the road works, but trucks were just too big to be re routed.

The vast majority of trucks which use the Kinsale Road roundabout would be heading to Musgraves. So would have had to come over that bridge.

All truck traffic was diverted onto The South City Link Road from The Kinsale Road roundabout, instead of the Old Kinsale Road. The truck traffic was then diverted left at The Mick Barry Road, where they connected up with The Old Kinsale Road again.

I hope this clears it up, I imagine all those signs are now gone as those works are now finished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

A nonstandard one ignored the height warning signs and ripped half the lights off the inside of the tunnel going northbound a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Is this sign in the tsm?

Surely a blue sign directing traffic > a limit would be better

Or even height limits on the black sign?

4.6 Alternative Route Information Signs >

TSM_CHAPTER_4-4.PDF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

(As an aside) there should be nothing wrong with posting something to a thread even if years have passed, if it's still relevant. If you do a search for some topics you can find lots of threads with unanswered questions and irritatingly, threads where someone posts an update to something from a couple of years before only to have a narky comment and a "thread closed" in bold.

Mods using timespan alone as a reason to decide a post is off-topic are puerile and it happens too much on some boards fora.

Advertisement