Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Turning right the 'wrong way' through a right-turn filter lane

Options
  • 26-11-2011 10:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭

Is it legal, acceptable or advisable to turn right across a right-turn filter lane intended for oncoming traffic?

In other words, in a situation where a right-turn filter lane (including broken white lines etc) is provided only for traffic coming from the opposite direction to you, can you still turn right across that filter lane in order to access another road or entrance?

Right-turn-across-filter-lane.jpg

<modnote: Commuting & Transport > Motors>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I wouldnt think so. The proper thing to do is go right around the roundabout and enter the house that way.

Of course if the traffic was mayhem and the filter lane was clear I would be using it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

It's just one of many possible examples of such a potential right turn.

The key ingredients are (1) a right-turn filter for one lane of traffic only and (2) an entrance or especially a road that motorists travelling in the opposite direction might want to access, also by turning to their right.

The usual arrangement, where both sets of right-turning vehicles are being facilitated, is to have two right-turn filter lanes opposite each other.

If there is only one right-turn filter lane provided, is there an implicit assumption that the traffic stream not being so facilitated is actually being prevented from doing so?

If the right-turn is not permissible then why not explicitly ban it?

If it is permissible, especially where motorists want to access a road, why use such a layout?

I'm confused about this.

Curiously, the RSA have not replied to my enquiries about it. Perhaps they don't know either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

My thoughts would be that best practice would be to travel around the roundabout and turn left into your driveway.
    I think the owner of the house beside the Saab would have to use the roundabout, as to enter their driveway you have to drive across a painted island.
    I think the Saab driver could probably get away with taking the route you've indicated with an arrow, as he's not crossing the painted island, not crossing a solid white line, and there are no "No Right Turn" signposts. I don't think it's illegal as it's like crossing any other oncoming carriageway.

In their position, I'd follow the arrow in the evenings when it's quiet, but when traffic is heavier I'd travel around the roundabout as I feel it'd be faster than waiting for a break in traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

-Chris- wrote: »
    I think the owner of the house beside the Saab would have to use the roundabout, as to enter their driveway you have to drive across a painted island.

When has that ever stopped anyone? :D

Seems stupid that you'd have to go up, around and back though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭cml387

When has that ever stopped anyone? :D

Seems stupid that you'd have to go up, around and back though

Not stupid. Sensible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Greyfoot

Seems to me that the road markings have disappeared over time. Coming from the direction of the red arrow there was a continuous white line but faded now. In that case you are to take the roundabout and do a full turn.

Greyfoot wrote: »
    Seems to me that the road markings have disappeared over time. Coming from the direction of the red arrow there was a continuous white line but faded now. In that case you are to take the roundabout and do a full turn.

It may be sensible -- in this particular case -- to go round the roundabout and turn left into your driveway.

However, I guess I am primarily interested in what is legal.

Right-turn filters are commonplace. Sometimes they occur in opposing pairs, which means both traffic streams have a clear and regularised prodedure for turning right.

The line is NOT continuous at the filter lane itself. Therefore, if a broken line permits motorists to cross, is it legal to cross the 'wrong' way from left to right across a right-turn filter? That's the key question, and I'm wondering whether there is any clear and definitive answer to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

I think, in the absence of a sign prohibiting a turn, you are ok to cross.
    Also, you can cross a solid White line for access so I wonder if that would extend to these types of markings?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭cml387

There would,as far as I can see,be nothing illegal.

However from a defensive driving point of view you wouldn't put yourself in a position where an accident could happen.

Near where I live is an exit from a garage which is lethally close to the exit from a roundabout.

While it would be legal,it would be unwise to exit from this side.

In the event of an accident in either case,it's knock for knock.

Frustrating, IMO, that these things should be so open to speculation.

Road markings and junction treatments ought to be self-explanatory, I would have thought.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

You cannot cross a single white line... simple!

Go around the roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Is it legal, acceptable or advisable to turn right across a right-turn filter lane intended for oncoming traffic?

In other words, in a situation where a right-turn filter lane (including broken white lines etc) is provided only for traffic coming from the opposite direction to you, can you still turn right across that filter lane in order to access another road or entrance?

<modnote: Commuting & Transport > Motors>

There is a filter lane turning into the driveway- it's under the big red arrow.....;)

There is a filter lane the other way because there is a adjoining road in that direction... I don't think the lack of a filter lane in the other direction should stop you...

Tallon wrote: »

Go around the roundabout

The normal arrangement is that the crossing point in the filter lane is marked out by broken lines, and that is shown clearly in the photo. The continuous white line/hatched area ends just before the filter lane.

Where is the regulation in the RoTR or statute book that says you must not turn right across the broken white lines as illustrated?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,938 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Tallon wrote: »

Go around the roundabout

You should have a read of the book that was sent to every house in the country before you post on the internet.
    Single or double continuous white lines along the centre of the road
    All traffic must keep to the left of the line (except in an emergency or for access).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Del2005 wrote: »
    You should have a read of the book that was sent to every house in the country before you post on the internet.
    Hmm.. You should stop being an asshole

• Registered Users Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

On a related point, the Merrion Road has recently been resurfaced and repainted. Mostly it's a continuous White line but for some reason people think that they can cross it to into entrances/driveways? Are brains always disengaged? There seems to be a view that it's a no overtaking line rather than a strict separation line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Marcusm wrote: »
    On a related point, the Merrion Road has recently been resurfaced and repainted. Mostly it's a continuous White line but for some reason people think that they can cross it to into entrances/driveways? Are brains always disengaged? There seems to be a view that it's a no overtaking line rather than a strict separation line.

Did you read the post two posts above yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

-Chris- wrote: »
    Did you read the post two posts above yours?

Oops no I didn't. I'll swap my criticism then for people turning right cross in a White line - either for junctions (there are some) or for those seeking egress, not access!

Del2005 wrote: »

Single or double continuous white lines along the centre of the road

All traffic must keep to the left of the line (except in an emergency or for access).

As I've already said, and as should be readily apparent when looking at any such road layout, the lines demarcating the right-turn filter are broken, not continuous.

Here's the same junction closer up, from a different angle and without the BFO red arrow that I included in the OP in the (clearly mistaken) belief that it would add clarity.

The road markings are worn (and have still not been renewed AFAIK) but it is self-evident that this right-turn filter, like all others, has broken white lines not continuous ones. Otherwise it would be illegal to for any motorist to cross, no?!

Broken-white-lines-right-turn-filter.jpg

The question remains: is it legal to turn right the 'wrong' way across a right-turn filter?

If the RoTR/road traffic law is clear on this point, can someone please quote chapter and verse?

Advertisement