Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerbal Space Programme

Options
  • 26-11-2011 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/download.php

For those who don't already know about it, it's a game where you can build your own rockets and launch them into space.

It was quite basic up until a few weeks ago but the programmers have put in some major upgrades.

Some of the stuff they have done

- You can fast forward up to 10,000 times faster than usual
    - You can now go into orbit of the moon and even land on it
    - You can now go into orbit of the sun
    - A second view has been added showing you your orbit details.

After a bit of trying, I've managed to land on the moon. Not the prettiest of landings. In fact, I managed to destroy my spacecraft but the three astronauts survived.

My main aim now is for a controlled landing on the moon and a return to earth. Very tricky as you need enough fuel for a long enough burn to return to earth.

I've added a few extra homebrew parts to the game and here is the craft I used to get to the moon. Note the 4 legs I added to the lander part.

rubepc.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Anyone still playing this ? The game has moved on significantly over the past year.

You can now build space stations and larger spacecraft in orbit. I read there are also people attempting to build moon bases by landing modules beside each other on the moon.

In space docking is now also in the game and they've added about 6 or 7 different planets to land on. You can now also build spaceplanes (very difficult to build).

I'm attempting to build a space station. Here's the rocket for the core which I'll have a go off launching.

Couldn't launch without a nice fairing :D

34t6fm8.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Is this not Orbiter 2010?
    http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Have a go at Orbiter, its mindblowingly accurate, I've been using it since 2005 and I've just scratched the surface. Check it out.
    I hadn't a clue about orbital mechanics and now I can do Interplanetary slingshots on minimal fuel...
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=relmfu&v=w5eKwnGP-Wo

greenpilot wrote: »
    Have a go at Orbiter, its mindblowingly accurate, I've been using it since 2005 and I've just scratched the surface. Check it out.
    I hadn't a clue about orbital mechanics and now I can do Interplanetary slingshots on minimal fuel...
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=relmfu&v=w5eKwnGP-Wo

Heard of it but never downloaded it. I think it goes for far more accuracy and real life than Kerbal Space Programme. Kerbal gives you a bit more variety though in being able to design your own space ships.

Will give it a try.

So I launched the first module of my space station. Took a number of launches to get it right. Forgot to put solar panels on it the first time and forgot to put a battery pack on it the second time.

Stuck a multi docking port on one end to attach other modules to it later on. Also stuck a fuel tank and engine on the other end in order to aid manoeuvring and docking later.

First picture shows the separation of stage 2 from the space station itself (I released the fairing once out of the atmosphere. Second picture shows the first module of the station in a stable orbit. Went for an orbit of about 140,000km. It's fairly circular with a max of 142k and a min of 139k.

Try to get a second module to rendezvous in orbit with the first module is going to be very tricky I suspect.

a9vh36.png

308is76.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ThatDrGuy

Lol thanks for this. Started playing there. Stayed up long into the night - its so addictive. Finally managed to land on the moon ( the Mun ), take off and splash down back safe on earth. Round trip was 6 days though so the crew might have been dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ThatDrGuy

My space jeep got a flat :( On the Mun

1y05d1.jpg

My nod to the Gemini Programme.

11s120g.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Thanks for this. Gonna download now and give it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Great game/sim. Just started playing it in the last few days and am getting to grips with building & launching etc. Great watching a rocket tearing itself to bits after something goes wrong. I'd rate this higher than OrbiterSim because you can tear it down and build what you want. Getting into space isn't really a problem. Personally I'd like to see a reasonable entry heating simulation, but that's a minor enough thing. It's one of the best sandbox sim games I've seen, and that includes the likes of Powder Toy.

Edit: Ah, the entry heat simulation is coming in the next release. Definitely buying this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement