Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Molar Extraction

Options
  • 26-11-2011 1:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭

Had a molar removed on Monday.
    I am a big lad* and was expecting pain up to a few days after. Now I understand that some bruising etc would occur but at the min I am in a bit of pain varying from just general 'uncomfortable' to low level pain.
    Is this normal? I am taking Ponstan but really have to wait for it to kick in before I get relief.

*The reason I mention this is this.
    Is the tooth part of a bone or is it just held in. It felt like the dentist had to really work t get it out and really had to 'load' me up on anisthetic to get numbness.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

bcmf wrote: »
    Had a molar removed on Monday.
    I am a big lad* and was expecting pain up to a few days after. Now I understand that some bruising etc would occur but at the min I am in a bit of pain varying from just general 'uncomfortable' to low level pain.
    Is this normal? I am taking Ponstan but really have to wait for it to kick in before I get relief.

*The reason I mention this is this.
    Is the tooth part of a bone or is it just held in. It felt like the dentist had to really work t get it out and really had to 'load' me up on anisthetic to get numbness.

Depending on the difficulty of the extraction and your own individual healing, you may be a little sore and swollen for 2-5 days....

If the pain is getting better gradually, then you are likely to be on the right track

If the pain is getting worse- you may have a dry socket or infection

Dry socket is very painful, usually develops 3-5 days after an extraction, smokers, women, those taking the pill, difficult extraction, lower teeth- all more prone to get dry socket, bad taste, bad smell etc...

Post-op infection may develop in some cases, swelling in the mouth or on the face may be present and increasing in size, increasing tenderness, feeling unwell, temperature, vomiting, red skin, swollen tender glands, difficulty opening the mouth, swallowing or even breathing.....

Did you ask your dentist??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Depending on the difficulty of the extraction and your own individual healing, you may be a little sore and swollen for 2-5 days....

If the pain is getting better gradually, then you are likely to be on the right track

If the pain is getting worse- you may have a dry socket or infection

Dry socket is very painful, usually develops 3-5 days after an extraction, smokers, women, those taking the pill, difficult extraction, lower teeth- all more prone to get dry socket, bad taste, bad smell etc...

Post-op infection may develop in some cases, swelling in the mouth or on the face may be present and increasing in size, increasing tenderness, feeling unwell, temperature, vomiting, red skin, swollen tender glands, difficulty opening the mouth, swallowing or even breathing.....

Did you ask your dentist??
    Thanks OS.
    If the pain is still there or hasnt decreased by Mon/Tue I will go back to the dentist.
    Am a non smoker and only meds are asthma inhalers.
    No swelling etc but gum where the tooth was is very tender.
    The tooth that was extracted was a lower one.
    I will keep off the ponstan for today and see what level the pain is at as its 5days since the op.
    Am on antibiotics as well. Clonamax 500mg

Advertisement