Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only the Sith believe in absolutes!

Options
  • 25-11-2011 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

My 12 year old nephew posed this question to me and I was honestly lost for any objection:

"If the Jedi believe that only a Sith believe in absolutes, doesnt that mean that the Jedi are Sith because they believe in that absolute" :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I always thought that line was a bit stupid, for that very reason!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Captain Chapman

That is one smart 12 year old, at that age I just wanted to be a sith!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Sith believe that and act upon it as a means to an end. Jedi do not do this and cannot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

An absolute is a 1-0 boolean on/off proposition though, all or nothing, black or white. Saying that only one particular group fervently believes in absolutes may just be a statement of fact, rather than expression of belief in a similar doctrine. It doesn't insist that the belief may not be held to a lesser degree by other people.

Call it a quirk of the English language, or just give the little tyke a clip across the ear for backchat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭promethius42

Mind = Blown

• Advertisement
Advertisement