Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wisdom tooth

Options
  • 25-11-2011 9:59pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi
    My wisdom tooth on the left hand side of my mouth is coming up and while I'm not in severe pain it is causing me some discomfort when I eat and I know its there,I'm guessing I'm gonna have to get it pulled?how much would I be looking at for the op?I have a medical card but I'm guessing this wont cover it?

any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭hg03 eyu

The medical card covers all extractions.

However, in the case of wisdom teeth that are not fully erupted most medical card dentists will refer the patient to the local health board.

Some local health boards do not have the services of an oral surgeon but some do not.

In that case your remaining option with the medical card is either of the dental hospitals in Dublin or Cork each with a long waiting list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Hi
    My wisdom tooth on the left hand side of my mouth is coming up and while I'm not in severe pain it is causing me some discomfort when I eat and I know its there,I'm guessing I'm gonna have to get it pulled?how much would I be looking at for the op?I have a medical card but I'm guessing this wont cover it?

any advice appreciated

As above, in the public system, you will likely be referred to the maxillofacial dept of your local hospital. The problem is that they are a pretty busy group (treating facial fractures from assalts, RTAs, sports injuries and treating oral cancer...etc). As such, on a scale of priority, your wisdom teeth don't really rank that well and accordingly there is a decent waiting list.....

The dental hospitals in Cork and Dublin are another option. I don't know about Cork but I know that you'll wait over a year in Dublin at least.

I'm presuming that you don't have private medical insurance, Y/N??

Privately, you'd be looking at approx €300 for the surgical removal of an impacted lower wisdom tooth but price varies with the clinic and qualifications of the clinician...

Good luck,
    OS

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Thanks for the replies,I don't have private health insurance,then again I don't think I could wait a year to get this done,I guess I should visit my dentist (haven't been since march 2010 :o) and see what she says.how long is the operation?and are you put to sleep or do they just numb the area? could my dentist not remove them for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

The dental hospitals in Cork and Dublin are another option. I don't know about Cork but I know that you'll wait over a year in Dublin at least.

I had my wisdom teeth out in the Cork dental hospital about two/three years ago and as far as I recall, I was seen the same day. I think it works out at about €100 per tooth there. That said, a lot has changed in the health service in two/three years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

When I first got my wisdom tooth it was tender and uncomfortable and I was very aware it was there.
    However I left it and it was fine. I have all 4 now (very wise I am! :D) and they don't bother me.
    I began getting them at 20 and am 28 now and have all erupted. They hurt on and off (maybe once a year) when they are growing more but it's not agonising, just slightly tender.

When I was getting them first my dentist recommended leaving them and seeing if I got used to them or if they were troublesome as he prefers not to extract until absolutely necessary as he said wisdom teeth can be used for bridge retention in the future (I have some fractures in my back molars which may be troublesome down the road).

Anyway, I have all 32 teeth and no problems (touch wood).
    Maybe consider leaving them to settle and for you to adjust?

Of course if you're in pain get them out but I'm happy I left mine to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

ash23 wrote: »
    When I first got my wisdom tooth it was tender and uncomfortable and I was very aware it was there.
    However I left it and it was fine. I have all 4 now (very wise I am! :D) and they don't bother me.
    I began getting them at 20 and am 28 now and have all erupted. They hurt on and off (maybe once a year) when they are growing more but it's not agonising, just slightly tender.

When I was getting them first my dentist recommended leaving them and seeing if I got used to them or if they were troublesome as he prefers not to extract until absolutely necessary as he said wisdom teeth can be used for bridge retention in the future (I have some fractures in my back molars which may be troublesome down the road).

Anyway, I have all 32 teeth and no problems (touch wood).
    Maybe consider leaving them to settle and for you to adjust?

Of course if you're in pain get them out but I'm happy I left mine to be honest.

That's what I was thinking of doing,just leaving it and see how it goes,its only slightly painful at the moment when I close my teeth together,its only the left handside one that's at me,I can see that the gum is swollen :'( I think I have one already and the other one is trying to come up through the swollen gum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

That's what I was thinking of doing,just leaving it and see how it goes,its only slightly painful at the moment when I close my teeth together,its only the left handside one that's at me,I can see that the gum is swollen :'( I think I have one already and the other one is trying to come up through the swollen gum?

In my own experience, the gum was sore while the tooth was trying to cut through.
    Perhaps go to your densitst for an xray? That way they'll be able to tell what position the tooth is in, underneath the gum. And if it's coming up straight you might not need an extraction. If it's not and it's impacted, then you can discuss options for extraction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Got all mine out this monday was put under lucky me..

But I'm feeling the pain 2 days post op face is like a baloon. Was told to take the week off told my job I be back on Tuesday but still with pain I'll wont be back to work till Monday.

Findin it hard to eat solid food. But happy its over with

Cork24 wrote: »
    Got all mine out this monday was put under lucky me..

But I'm feeling the pain 2 days post op face is like a baloon. Was told to take the week off told my job I be back on Tuesday but still with pain I'll wont be back to work till Monday.

Findin it hard to eat solid food. But happy its over with

were they under the gum or had they already broken through?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

One under the gum. The rest are after broken the gum but not by much 2 had to be cut out surgery wise don't know the difference the right side of my face is really out

• Advertisement
Advertisement