Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to wash dog, but terrified of water?

Options
  • 25-11-2011 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

Hi :)

When my GSD is out on walks , she finds absolutely everything to roll in :mad: i mean everything :)

Would it be OK to clean her fur/coat with baby wipes for example? as she wont let me near her with water lol :)

pudz :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

I have used the equivalent of wet wipes which were specifically designed for dogs for giving a once over to one of my woofers. They clean the dog up a bit but its not the same as a wash. You may need to get one specifically designed for dogs as otherwise they may be too small and you will end up using half a pack on one wash. the dog ones are thicker too.
    I got mine in Aldi but Im sure a good pet shop will have some.

You could also try using a dog dry shampoo and brushing the dirt out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I would just sponge him down gently with warm water. He shouldnt notice the water as much if its done this way rather than being placed in a bath with water or the force of a shower hose. Get him used to it slowly to ease his fears.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

Baby wipes may not clean a long haired dog very well, but they would take the top layer of grime off.

Long term can I suggest a method?
    You'll need a sponge, some hot water and shampoo. Also a towel for after. A helper and LOTS of treats.

Start by dipping the sponge in the warm water / shampoo mix. Squeeze out the sponge until its only damp, gently rub this on the dog while praising and treating...
    Repeat, until clean.
    Then do it all over again with warm water on the sponge without the shampoo.

(It took almost 45min when I had to use this method on a GSD/Lassie)

Over time you will be able to do this with a wetter sponge.
    But for now it would likely work better than baby wipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The Aldi ones are made by Bob Martin and are brilliant - really thick and nice and big so you use less than baby wipes. They sell them in Tesco too. Furminator do a waterless shampoo and conditioner - you spray it on and rub/brush it in - I use this on my guy after he's been swimming and he always smells lovely and his coat is always gleaming after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Thanks for all the tips everyone !! :)
    I think il try the sponge method, if it fails il use the wipes in Aldi :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Wet a towel and rub him down with it, if he really stinks add a bit of diluted baby shampoo (to the towel), rinse towel and rub down again, rinse towel again and keep it up until all cleaned off.

I do this when in a hurry, my dogs are indoors wile I work, and many mornings they have rolled in something right before I go to work. :rolleyes:

(Goes faster if you have 2 or 3 spare towels)

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

mymo wrote: »
    Wet a towel and rub him down with it, if he really stinks add a bit of diluted baby shampoo (to the towel), rinse towel and rub down again, rinse towel again and keep it up until all cleaned off.

I do this when in a hurry, my dogs are indoors wile I work, and many mornings they have rolled in something right before I go to work. :rolleyes:

Sounds like a really obvious one but brilliant fast fix

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aisher

I cant imagine not being able to shower my dog down following a roll in something not so nice :D Personally, I would try and introduce the shower - maybe just the feet at first and a treat for staying still -my dog hated the shower at first but with the benefit of a tasty treat she got used to the idea! Good Luck !

rasper wrote: »
    Sounds like a really obvious one but brilliant fast fix

Also works on cats;)

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

i would deffo try and get him used to getting wet but i would not reccomend showering him every time he rolls around in dirt or something as itwould leave to coat damage once every 4 weeks is enough so i would go with a wet towel squeeze a bit of tea tree shampoo on where the dirt is rub in and repeat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 arrianavera

I also do this tactic to my cat and dog.
    Wacky (my english springer spaniel) is the one who dislikes water.. So, at first I used 2-3 towels for him and a single towel for my cat. Now, he is ok bathing with water while the cat still don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Yep this is what I do (with dog shampoo, although sure baby shampoo just as good), works a treat and as mymo says, have 2 or 3 towels handy, saying that I haven't had any stinky rollings for a while (tempting fate anyone?!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I know you're not supposed to use human products on dogs: particularly shampoo so make sure it's the dog stuff!!!! I assume the same would go for baby babywipes!?

Evilmonkeys way worked for me; plus big bag if mega treats between each rub/ hide: she lives it now!! Don't use too much dog shampoo or you'll be forever trying to get it all sudzed off !

I hooked up a short hose to the hot ( but not too hot!) tap in the kitchen out to the garden and have FAR less sprinting off midway now!!! I did find
    Not to take off the colar (!) ; nothing to hold her by & wet dog is v hard to grab!!!
    And remember to have the towels out with you in the garden and the kitchen door shut!!!!! ( gives your floors a chance and less ginormous pools inside to mop later!!!)
    Treats all the way!!
    Have fun!!
    & be v quick!!!!

I use baby shampoo on the recommendation of my dogs breeder(who shows and breeds 2 long haired breeds), dilute a good big squirt in half a jug of water, mix well. Rinse thoroughly.
    My vet has also ok'd this, he actually said its probably milder than most dog shampoos.
    Dogs come up lovely and clean, and have a nice smell, coats are in lovely condition too.
    If the dog is afraid of water that much I would avoid hosing her down until you can get her more used to it.
    Have you tried and basin of water and cloth, wet the cloth well and start by wiping the paws down, gradually move the water closer and work up to pouring a little around paws.
    Hopefully you can build up to washing her once she is more comfortable, but unless she's getting really stink I'd just stick with the towel rubs.

Advertisement