Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychology Job Opportunites on WHV

Options
  • 25-11-2011 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi everyone,
    I am unsure if this is the most appropriate forum for my query but thought I would give it a shot! I am an Irish female who is planning on heading to Australia (specifically Melbourne) on a WHV (working holiday visa) in late January/early February of 2012.

I have a four year undergraduate degree in psychology and I have also completed a masters in applied psychology (1 year). I am currently working as a psychological research assistant in a university (adolescents and adults), and I have also acquired experience as a psychological researcher in a hospital (children). Other experience involves volunteer work as a helpline call facilitator and community care work with vulnerable children.
    I am keen to pursue clinical psychology in Ireland and to this end I would like for my year in Australia to involve some sort of work that may count as clinical experience. The jobs I'm referring to are mental health support worker, ABA therapist, assistant psychologist, research assistant, etc. I plan to gain membership of the APS (Australian Psychological Society) but I think that I probably wont be eligable for registration.

My questions centre mainly around psychological job opportunites in Australia for psychology graduates. I would like to know if anybody has any idea about how difficult it is to acquire a mental health job in Australia and what employers are looking for? Does anybody know anyone who has gone over to Australia before looking for clinical experience? I was also considering directly contacting various mental health/rehabilitation centres or universities to enquire also about work, would this be appropriate? If anyone could provide any advice or even any links to more relevant forums that would be great. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

You might be better off asking this in the Australia forum, over under Region.

Advertisement