Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerbil

Options
  • 25-11-2011 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭

:( i have a female gerbil, 8 weeks old at the most, that has just started having seizures. she is nutmeg in colour (i read somewhere that some colours are more prone). is there anything i can do for her? i worry the other gerbils might pick up there is something wrong and attack her??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Do you know her breeding history - is she likely to have come from a heavily inbred stock? Depending on the age profile of the group she is with, it is likely that she will be attacked if her health is compromised and my advice would be to isolate her. I have had several gerbils attacked by their peer groups when they became ill or needed medication and I isolate as a matter of course now. Reintroducing her if the seizures stop will also be tricky.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Do you know her breeding history - is she likely to have come from a heavily inbred stock? Depending on the age profile of the group she is with, it is likely that she will be attacked if her health is compromised and my advice would be to isolate her. I have had several gerbils attacked by their peer groups when they became ill or needed medication and I isolate as a matter of course now. Reintroducing her if the seizures stop will also be tricky.

'cptr

shes living with 3 of her siblings right now but no fighting so far. i only saw her parents im not sure about others but since it was an accidental litter id say they were brother and sister.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Have a small animal vet check her out, maybe she could be diabetic or it might be a genetic thing either way it's best to have the vet check her out.

Advertisement