Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work won't sort out my emergency tax

Options
  • 25-11-2011 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I've been working for a huge American company since June this year part time. When I started I had another job so didn't mind not sorting out my emergency tax straight away as I thought it would be a good way to save and the money from my other job + my deducted wages from current job kept me going.

Now the other job finished over 2 months ago and that is when I rang the tax office, gave them all the relevant information and expected my emergency tax to come into my account in my next paycheck (seeing as this has happened in every other job I've ever been in) and upon my payday there was nothing in my account.

I rang the tax office again and they told me they sent out the certificate to work and that I should have gotten mine on the same day (I received mine after 2-3 days of calling the tax office in the first place) So then I rang work and they said they never received anything from the Tax office.

So I got it sent out again.

So I was extremely tight for money for the following two weeks (I get paid fortnightly) but assumed it would be fine since I would be receiving my emergency tax in my next paycheck.

Next payday - still nothing. I asked work about this several times and no one seemed to have a clue how to sort it out (All my managers + Bosses are about 21 years old) and I am starting to get extremely frustrated with them.

I got my boyfriend to ring work for me to ask why this hasn't been sorted out yet and on the phone one of the managers said ''well has she emailed this person (insert email here)'' as if I was just magically supposed to know to email this person when every time I asked work for help they never mentioned anything - So I emailed these people last week and still have had no reply.

It has come to the point where I am living on 2-3 euro a day, I can't afford to buy myself proper food because bills need to be paid, my health is suffering and I am getting in trouble from my landlord for being so behind on the bills.

I asked one of my colleagues what to do and he said he emailed another person and he got it sorted out. He gave me the email address of this person who dealt with tax etc from the company and I explained my situation to them and they wrote me back and email that just said ''FYI'' and CC'd it onto the first email address I wrote to that never got back to me.

None of the managers have a clue what to do but this isn't my fault, they should be sorting this out and I feel there is nothing more I can do now and every avenue I've tried has failed and I don't understand how it can be so hard to get the money I worked for!

I just really am sick and I need this sorted out ASAP but I honestly don't know what to do anymore. I feel that absolutely no one is being helpful.
    They are a multi billion company by the way.

Any help would be much appreciated. sorry for the long post!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Ring the payroll person! Or better yet, show up at their desk unexpectedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 LFD2

Thanks for your reply, but I can't turn up at their desk as it is all in America, and also I tried to ring a few times (it's an american number) and no one answered. I'm at my wits end here...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Ring the payroll person! Or better yet, show up at their desk unexpectedly.

That always worked for me when i worked in an office. Make sure you wheel in a chair and sit beside them when you take to them. Lets them know your not going anywhere till its sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

LFD2 wrote: »
    I've been working for a huge American company since June this year part time. When I started I had another job so didn't mind not sorting out my emergency tax straight away as I thought it would be a good way to save and the money from my other job + my deducted wages from current job kept me going.

Why didn't you sort out the tax at once? Especially when it comes to American corporate companies....EVERYTHING is sorted out at HQ level and the wheels grind exceedingly slow as you've discovered to your cost.

The only thing you can do now is to inform your line manager of the tax situation, and escalate through them. Pointless going to the payroll people yourself, as they'll only boot it back to the States. Get your manager ( and their manager if necessary) involved.

Next time - DON'T ALLOW YOURSELF TO BE EMERGENCY TAXED!! It only brings aggro in the end, and everything costs much more to sort out (time, money, and stress). Get a 12A or call over your employers details to Revenue. If you need to save, then set up a SO from your bank account to your savings/CU.

BTW - this wouldn't be in Cork, would it?? ;)

Advertisement