Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help please, manual handling course

Options
  • 25-11-2011 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Hi all, I need some help to find a manual handling course that is open to the public either tomorrow or next monday as i have a interview on tuesday i just checked my old cert and it's out of date. I'm in Dublin i have a car so can travel to any part of the country.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

timogen wrote: »
    Hi all, I need some help to find a manual handling course that is open to the public either tomorrow or next monday as i have a interview on tuesday i just checked my old cert and it's out of date.

When asking for help online its best to give as much information as possible. What part of the country are you in? How far can you travel etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭bizzo

Generally friday is the day that you will find most courses being run. Sounds obvious but google search "public MH course" for whatever town is near you. Even if you got a confirmation email saying that you have a course booked should be enough for the interviewer. Best of Luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Hi all, I need some help to find a manual handling course that is open to the public either tomorrow or next monday as i have a interview on tuesday i just checked my old cert and it's out of date. I'm in Dublin i have a car so can travel.

Manual Handing courses should really be tailored to the work involved, most decent companies should have the course performed in house.
    Was it a condition of applying for the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭timogen

No it wasn't a condition of the job,but it will be needed and wanted to go to interview saying i have it or as said above im in the process of getting it.

You still never said where you are located.
    No it wasn't a condition of the job,but it will be needed and wanted to go to interview saying i have it or as said above im in the process of getting it.

If I were you, I would go to the interview with your out of date certificate. Tell them, you have the training and therefore know how to move things safely and are able to assess whether you can lift something safely or not. Then say, that you are booked in to renew the cert in a number of weeks(find a course thats being held somewhere so you can quote dates), that should be plenty for most employers. You dont want to spend money getting certified and then not get the job.

• Advertisement

syklops wrote: »
    You still never said where you are located.

If I were you, I would go to the interview with your out of date certificate. Tell them, you have the training and therefore know how to move things safely and are able to assess whether you can lift something safely or not. Then say, that you are booked in to renew the cert in a number of weeks(find a course thats being held somewhere so you can quote dates), that should be plenty for most employers. You dont want to spend money getting certified and then not get the job.

I had it edited in my first post i am in dublin 15, if i dont get one by tuesday that's what i will be do,i am a truck driver and will need a manual handling cert for most jobs i go for, i have seen one in dulbin run on fridays and will enroll for that if i don't get one by tuesday.

I had it edited in my first post i am in dublin 15, if i dont get one by tuesday that's what i will be do,i am a truck driver and will need a manual handling cert for most jobs i go for, i have seen one for €40 in in dulbin run on fridays and will enroll for that if i don't get one by tuesday.

Apologies.

Have you looked at Fas? You might get it for cheap or free if your currently unemployed.

Here is one in D10:

I'm lucky enough to be able to afford to pay for it so ill fork out myself,I am unemployed but i have a job lined up with an agency monday week i don't known how secure it will be.But the interview tuesday is with a multi-national they probably do the manual handling in-house, saying i have it already or i am in the process of getting it will only be to my advantage.

Thanks for the help people, heading down to tullamore tomorrow for the training with (PM me if anyone wants the details) and it's €45 cheaper than what i could find in dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Just coming across this post now btw the employer normally has to carry out the manual handling training and the employee should not have to pay for it.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

Just coming across this post now btw the employer normally has to carry out the manual handling training and the employee should not have to pay for it.;)

Not in my experience, as an Health care Assistant working as Agency.

Health care Agencies expect you to have and up to date cert and pay for your own training every 2 years, and they won't pay anything towards it.

Realtine wrote: »
    Not in my experience, as an Health care Assistant working as Agency.

Health care Agencies expect you to have and up to date cert and pay for your own training every 2 years, and they won't pay anything towards it.

Well it looks like your company/agency is breaking the law under the SHAW act 2005 a person working for a company who needs to be retrained/up skilled etc must not lose any renumeration.

They're not breaking the law they're looking for you to have it before they give you employment. They're valid for three years so they won't have to fork out until them three years are up, so if you go in there with 2 years and eleven months on your cert all the better for them. You'll see it on most job sites that a valid manual handling cert is a prerequisite to getting the job.

Well I also hold a licence for a truck and was never told that I had to have an up to date manual handling cert for a job as most companies would give you the run down on there H&S policy including the manual training.
    Can I be a bit nosey and ask you who the firm is you can pm if you want as I work in the transport industry.

Advertisement