Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chimaira - Rob Arnold and Matt DeVries Departing After Christmas 12

Options
  • 25-11-2011 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

I'm sorry if this has been raised before, I've tickets to see them next year, went onto the website to see what they'd been up to (haven't seen them live since I saw them in the TBMC and the Ambassador in 2004) and then I hear that at the end of this year their founding guitarist duo (and main songwriting partners) are departing the band!:mad:

That will basically leave Mark Hunter, their vocalist, as the sole member of the band who performed in Dublin all those years ago and released the incredible Impossibility of Reason (an album that inspired Kerry King to call them the next Slayer, whatever that meant). Rob and Matt now seem likely to end up in Six Feet Under more or less full time, but is this because Mark Hunter is an asshole or impossible to work with?

Looking at the membership it's now going to be everyone, with the exception of Emil and Mark, who joined the band in 2010 or earlier. Emil joined in 2009 and then switched to bass in 2010.

What do people think, are Chimaira now just a tribute act, or where they ever destined to become the next big thing anyway? Is Mark Hunter pissing against the wind and fighting a loosing battle....have I wasted my money in purchasing a ticket:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Awful pity this, overlooked is one of my favourite metal songs ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

The Impossibility of Reason is a brilliant album, unfortunately nothing they've done since has even come close to the energy and passion of that album. I'm sure they'd put on a reasonable live show so I wouldn't say it's a waste of a ticket.

It's a bit off-topic but does anyone know why they used Chimaira instead of Chimera for the band name? Is it just yet another example of creative American spelling?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

I can vaguely recall that there was another band called Chimera, hence the alternative spelling for legal reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

viadah wrote: »
    I can vaguely recall that there was another band called Chimera, hence the alternative spelling for legal reasons.
    Good point. I guess that could have caused a problem. According to here there were actually three bands with that name.

Advertisement