Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Husky + Electric Collar= ?

Options
  • 25-11-2011 2:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Sup guys. After a long wait I'm finally getting my Husky in 2 weeks. Papers, Shots, Health cert, Lineage, Temperament... yadda yadda all sorted after a long wait that was most definitely worth it.

After extensive research for nearly the entire year I'm hoping I have almost everything covered and I'm prepared for most things (However, We all know every new husky owner isn't :D) The only thing I could never find an answer to is Electric Fence/Collar 'training'. Not livestock electric fence of course, I mean the actual Dog collar/preimiter wire for keeping dogs on your property. Do they work with Huskies? I can only imagine they don't, Figuring the sibes nature for adventure. It is however, How I originally trained my Black Lab when he was a pup to stay close to the house and not roam (I live in middle of a forest, on a lake. Very easy for normal Dogs to wander off for days, so I can only imagine huskies would fair.) using flags and making sure he knew not to go outside them. I only used it when my black lab was a pup about 7 years ago, and kept it on him for about a year before he got the gist of it. Of course now he goes off the whole time, But considering he is perfectly trained, I don't have that much of a problem with it.

And if this type of training won't work with a Husky, Can anybody suggest another type of training to try and keep a husky close to home? Of course I know due to their nature and instincts, It's common for them to just go off and never come back/get lost. But any tips that would help to make him know to come back? lol. Not expecting any miracles due to the type of dog and how notorious they are for it, It's just the most pressing issue in my head right now. If all else fails however, No problem putting up a fence, I would just love to try everything else first, As I don't believe in permanently confining dogs.

One last question. How would your "average" Husk react to growing up with another older, very well trained dog? Would it have a positive or negative affect?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Picture this if you can, a stake either side of the garden with a long line attached... attached to that a long loose line with a hook on the other end is the dog, kind of freedom in the garden..

I and a lot of others would be very against the fence/shock system!

My idea would look something like this...

stake/line/hook/line/stake

¦
    hook
    ¦
    grassssssssssss ¦ grassssssssssss
    grasssssssssss DOG grassssssssssss

excuse the bad drawing... the hook can of course slide up and down the line so the dog has the "freedom" to go the whole length of the garden but not getting outside the boundary....

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Mart0

garkane wrote: »
    Picture this if you can, a stake either side of the garden with a long line attached... attached to that a long loose line with a hook on the other end is the dog, kind of freedom in the garden..

I and a lot of others would be very against the fence/shock system!

My idea would look something like this...

stake/line/hook/line/stake

¦
    hook
    ¦
    grasssssssssss DOG grassssssssssss

excuse the bad drawing... the hook can of course slide up and down the line so the dog has the "freedom" to go the whole length of the garden but not getting outside the boundary....

Thanks for the idea! As odd as it sounds I know, But I really believe keeping a dog tied up in any way is cruel. Rich, I know, Coming from someone who used basically a shock collar to train his dog, But I really view it as the most humane way for that specific type of training. As the dog quickly learns not to tread over the flags/line and rarely if ever gets shocked. You do get the problem sometimes though, That the dog may get through the line, Then when he wants to return, He's unable because of the collar. But it rarely happens as something would really have to excite them to get them to jump the line.
    Again, I would have no problem Putting a fence up as I've dealt with the fact that this nature just comes with the breed that is the Husky, And I would sooner put up a fence then Tie a dog up!
    Edit: And by fence I mean a conventional 6+ foot fence!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Mart0 wrote: »
    Thanks for the idea! As odd as it sounds I know, But I really believe keeping a dog tied up in any way is cruel.

Edit: And by fence I mean a conventional 6+ foot fence!

I think you may look at is as cruel but is a husky's basic natural requirement exercise as opposed to the ability to roam?

will 6feet keep in a husky?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Electric collars are cruel and unreliable and they def do not work on Huskies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Apologies if I'm reading your post wrong but it seems like you're saying you trained your lab as a pup with the electric collar and kept him on it for a year until he got the gist of it, but now he doesn't wear it and he wanders off but he's well trained so it doesn't matter. I don't quite understand this statement, if he now wanders off, what was the point of the collar then, as soon as he's not wearing it, the boundaries are cancelled out? And if it's ok for your lab to wander off why isn't it ok for the new dog?

Like I say apologies if I'm reading it wrong but to me it seems you trained your first dog with the collar then took it off him and all the 'training' with the collar was pointless because he now goes where he pleases.

For the record I would fence the area, do anything apart from using the collar, I don't see how you can say that tying up a dog is cruel but an electric shock collar isn't.

• Advertisement

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Apologies if I'm reading your post wrong but it seems like you're saying you trained your lab as a pup with the electric collar and kept him on it for a year until he got the gist of it, but now he doesn't wear it and he wanders off but he's well trained so it doesn't matter. I don't quite understand this statement, if he now wanders off, what was the point of the collar then, as soon as he's not wearing it, the boundaries are cancelled out? And if it's ok for your lab to wander off why isn't it ok for the new dog?

Like I say apologies if I'm reading it wrong but to me it seems you trained your first dog with the collar then took it off him and all the 'training' with the collar was pointless because he now goes where he pleases.

For the record I would fence the area, do anything apart from using the collar, I don't see how you can say that tying up a dog is cruel but an electric shock collar isn't.

No,No, You misunderstand. I have absolutely no problem with dogs roaming. I think it's all dogs nature to go off exploring and I believe I have no right to confine a dog permanently. I didn't train my Lab entirely using a shock collar, I just trained him not leave leave the property using a shock collar, For everything else I used reward training. What I'm getting at in the OP is, While a dog is young, due to where I live, It's very easy for them to go off and get lost and be gone for days, which makes in harder to get a training routine, which makes it harder to assert dominance, etc.. Once my Lab was trained I had no problem with him going roaming because "He had manners" so to speak, He was introduced to the forest and the surrounding area accompanied by me with walks, and he knew to come back. Basically, Keeping him confined temporarily with the collar made it way easier to train, and was safer, And I was wondering could I apply that same logic to a Husky as they have an extremely different drive for adventure and are ten times more stubborn than a Lab. All in all, The collar isn't so much for keeping the dog on my property forever, It's just to keep him safe and confined until I believe that I can trust him roaming on his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Sorry if I missed it but is your lab neutered? And are you planning on neutering your husky?

Sorry but thats a disgraceful attitude to have. NO DOGS should be allowed to roam freely anywhere.

Its up to you as a responsible owner to ensure your dog is properly contained so he isnt wandering. Wandering dogs cause all types of problems. They are a risk to livestock, people, can cause car accidents, they risk being stolen, and you think its ok for a dog to roam?:mad:

Dogs are pets, not wild animals so they should never be allowed to roam, end of.

The only thing that will stop a Husky from roaming is proper fencing, so if you arent prepared to do this, then absolutely do not get one, or any dog for that matter if you are going to let it roam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

I'm not being smart but you say you have done extensive research for over a year and you are still considering trying to keep a husky on a property with an electric fence. Even the most basic of research would lead someone to the conclusion that this would be a completely insufficient way to contain most dogs, nevermind a husky.

What kind of research have you done? I presume given that you have waited this long, you are sourcing your dog from top class breeders, so surely they would have advised you that this method of keeping the dog in won't work. I'm sure no responsible breeder would want one of their pups going somewhere where the pup is going to be subject to use of an electric collar and where without doubt the dog is eventually going to escape and most likely not come back.

andreac wrote: »
    Sorry but thats a disgraceful attitude to have. NO DOGS should be allowed to roam freely anywhere.

Its up to you as a responsible owner to ensure your dog is properly contained so he isnt wandering. Wandering dogs cause all types of problems. They are a risk to livestock, people, can cause car accidents, they risk being stolen, and you think its ok for a dog to roam?:mad:

Dogs are pets, not wild animals so they should never be allowed to roam, end of.

The only thing that will stop a Husky from roaming is proper fencing, so if you arent prepared to do this, then absolutely do not get one, or any dog for that matter if you are going to let it roam.

Understandable relpy. However I really dont thonk you understand where I live. My dog dosent/wouldnt be roaming roads/farmland/estates. He roams literally endless amount of forest with a lake in the middle of it. Thats why I have no problem with him roaming as long as knows to come back. And yes Dogs are animals. As much as my lab is part of the family, i still respect the fact hes an animal and enjoys adventure. Who am i to tie him up and remove that right?

And as ive stated, i have no problem putting up a fence. Its not the fence i have a problem with, its confining an animal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

A neighbours husky jumps a 6ft wall, they had to put a foot more fencing and a piece tilted inwards at an angle on top.
    I know someone else tried these collars after many other methods, and no it didn't work either, the dog just trotted out through it, many time.
    I won't even get into what I think of these collars.
    I also don't understand your attitude, you allow your other dog to roam and have no worries as he has manners???? How do you know what he does when out of your sight and hearing? Just because he behaves around you doesn't mean he does when you aren't with him.

Build a pen with good strong fencing, as large as you can, roof it too just to be safe, oh and use a padlock or something, I have heard of huskies opening gates on pens. Take him out and exercise and train him as much as possible.

If you can't or won't be responsible for your dogs, you shouldn't have them.

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Sorry if I missed it but is your lab neutered? And are you planning on neutering your husky?

Sorry, on phone so replying is a bit of a mess. Yes my lab is neutered, as will be the husky. I understand the ramifications of an unneutered roaming dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Does the forest you live in belong to you entirely? Or is it open to the public who might be walking their dogs, walking with their kids, cycling through, having a picnic etc? If it is open to the public then just because your dog 'has manners' in your opinion, what about if he is running chasing a rabbit or something and knocks a child over? Knocks someone off their bike and they hurt themselves? Someone decides they like the look of him (especially if he isn't neutered) or think he's a stray and take him home or call the dog warden and the dog warden takes him to the pound and you can't find him and he ends up being pts? Gets into a disagreement with another dog and causes the other dog injury? Do you realise you would be liable for all these situations? You are effectively breaking the law, because the law states you must be in 'reasonable control' of your dog at all times.

Seriously, you don't own a lion or a tiger or some other wild animal who belongs on the plains or jungles of Africa/India, you own a dog, a pet, who relies on you to keep him safe, we (humans) domesticated dogs many thousands of years ago, they don't 'have a right' to go wandering in a public place, where there are other people who may be scared of or not like dogs. Really, your attitude is quite astounding.

If you think its ok to let dogs roam then you shouldnt own one. Its actually against the law to let your dog roam, do you realise that? Your dog can be lifted by the dog warden if its found roaming.

Your dog is a dog, not a wild deer etc. Its a family pet who should be kept responsibly and that is not letting it roam. It doesnt matter where it is, whether it be a forest, a field or a farm, you have a duty to your pet to keep confined properly.

If your dog is getting the correct amount of daily exercise then there shouldnt be a problem. Your dog can enjoy adventure as you put it, when he is with you and only then.

I really dont get this attitude that some people have that its ok to let your dog roam :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

You aren't actually allowed to allow your dog to roam on public land (I take it you don't own the forested/lake area) all dogs must be under effective control (read the control of dogs act) and if you aren't with the dog you cannot control the dog.

You need to pay out for proper high fencing, don't get the dog until you have fenced off your property or a large dog run which you can extend over time.

You do realise that dogs esp. pure breeds are stolen all the time as well esp. at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

i think if ppl cant be bothered to keep their dog in control, confined and know where they are 24/7 they should NOT have a dog, full stop. as others have said while your dog is of running how do you know what hes up to. what if he wanders a bit further than usual and goes into a field with sheep. your dog could be shoot on the spot.

Ok, I understand the majority of issue's raised here. But at the same time I do trust my dog to venture the forestland on his own, And that's the way it's been for almost 4 years now. Nothing bad has happened. (Actually the only thing that has ever happned to my lab was he disolcated his hip mating with a bitch ON my property)

But how I trained my black lab isn't what I wanted this thread to be about. Only asking 2 simple questions regaurding training and interaction between dogs.

I honestly scoff at the people telling me I should't own a dog. My lab is the most wonerfully trained and obedient dog.
    Edit: Sorry for my spelling, Fecking phone keypad.

i think if ppl cant be bothered to keep their dog in control, confined and know where they are 24/7 they should NOT have a dog, full stop. as others have said while your dog is of running how do you know what hes up to. what if he wanders a bit further than usual and goes into a field with sheep. your dog could be shoot on the spot.

However there are no fields with sheep or any sort of farmland for miles and miles.
    You must remember, I'm talking in terms of my lab here. Who is propery trained. What I'm asking opinions on is how would a husky react to that type of training.

Mart0 wrote: »
    Ok, I understand the majority of issue's raised here. But at the same time I do trust my dog to venture the forestland on his own, And that's the way it's been for almost 4 years now. Nothing bad has happened. (Actually the only thing that has ever happned to my lab was he disolcated his hip mating with a bitch ON my property)

QUOTE]

Nothing bad has happened YET!! It doesnt matter that hes been fine for 4 years, something could still happen him and you are being very irresponsible for thinking its ok to allow your dog to do this.

Its never ok to let any dog roam.

No, it will not work with your Husky, not at all, so please make sure you build proper fencing to keep your dogs, all of them, fully enclosed and safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Guys just a note/warning - the OP asked for advice on how to train their dog to recall / stay on the property. Whilst some people disagree with them letting the dog roam around their land - there's too many posts that are short of saying the person shouldn't own a dog. It would be far better to help the OP in ways to keep their dog under control rather than ranting at them.

Keep your posts *on topic* and *helpful* please, or else the mods will be forced to infract for breaching soapboxing opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Roxbb

You need to train your dog to a reliable recall firstly and until this is done he shouldn't be off lead regardless of where he is it's not easy some breeds are harder than others and it can be very very time consuming but it's the most effective way of training hands down.....plus you will get huge satisfaction from the improvement you are both making together...obviously as I am very +R-P I am completely and utterly against the collar,.personally I believe you should build the fence just bring them for plenty of walks....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

No, you cannot train a husky to an electric collar and you cannot expect him to wander away for a little bit then come home. Huskies can cover many, many miles in a day and could be in the next county before you realise it. And as for there not being any sheep nearby, how close is the nearest farm? Is it within 10 or 20 miles? if so, not an issue for a husky at all and with their high prey drive, no deer in the forest would be safe either. If you´ve done your research you will know that they used to be set free each summer to find their own food, that instinct has never left them, no matter how domesticated they may seem.

Have you had this discussion with the breeder you´re getting the dog from? If you have, then they aren´t a good breeder, as no good sibe breeder would sell a pup to someone who hasn´t got an enclosed garden or run. They are a domestic dog, not a wild animal, they need fencing at least 6 foot high, but I have had sibes who could scale 6 foot no problem.

Great that you think its wrong for a dog to be confined, but why is it okay for a sheep or deer to be ripped to pieces by a dog? I don´t understand that mentality at all. If you want to get a husky, great, but walk it on a lead, never, ever let it off in an unenclosed space. Maybe get a scooter or a bike and work it that way. Check every sibe club and welfare organisation in the world and they will give the same advice, enclosed, secure garden and never off lead exercise. Why would they all say the same thing if they didn´t know what can happen?

Advertisement