Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much does Government make from sales of alcohol

Options
  • 25-11-2011 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I watched the Frontline episode on alcohol this morning >>> http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=1123238

There was plenty of talk and numbers given for how much excessive alcohol consumption costs Ireland every year. But . . . they failed to mention how much money the Irish Government takes in each year from the tax/excise-duty etc. on alcohol. I thought this information would be easy to find online, but I gave up after about an hour.

I did find this though >>> http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/excise/duties/excise-duty-rates.html

Any ideas, anybody?

Where should I be looking?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Here's some slightly out of date data.

http://www.abfi.ie/Sectors/ABFI/ABFI.nsf/vPages/About_Us~industry-profile-and-statistics?OpenDocument

Doesn't say where they got the data themselves though.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Brite_Cloud

irish_goat wrote: »
    Here's some slightly out of date data.

http://www.abfi.ie/Sectors/ABFI/ABFI.nsf/vPages/About_Us~industry-profile-and-statistics?OpenDocument

Doesn't say where they got the data themselves though.
    Thanks for that.

So it seems that the Irish drinks industry does more harm than good (in financial terms) if the yearly damage figure of €3.7 billion is to be believed ?? >>> http://www.google.ie/search?q=alcohol+costs+%223.7+billion%22+site:.ie&num=50&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&prmd=imvns&tbas=0&sa=X&ei=0nfRTtPJIo65hAfYlMnfDQ&ved=0CAYQuAs&biw=1280&bih=685

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I've often wondered about this with smoking.

i.e. how much does it cost the health service vs how much does it net the Government from tax?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I've often wondered about this with smoking.

i.e. how much does it cost the health service vs how much does it net the Government from tax?

It can't really be measured like that though. If smoking was banned it wouldn't just be a trade off between healthcare cost and tax. You have to consider things like;

Worker productivity, this would go up as people wouldn't be spending time on smoking breaks and would have no smoking illness related days off work. Less strain on the hospitals should also contribute to a healthier and more productive nation.

Thus life average life expectancy would rise, so the number of pensioners would go up.

And the money that would have been spent on tobacco would now be spent elsewhere and would still be taxed (although to a lesser degree excluding money spent alcohol).

These are only a few things I've come up with off the top of my head though, there's books/journals online dealing with the economic effects of banning smoking if you have a google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

It can't really be measured like that though. If smoking was banned it wouldn't just be a trade off between healthcare cost and tax. You have to consider things like;

Worker productivity, this would go up as people wouldn't be spending time on smoking breaks and would have no smoking illness related days off work. Less strain on the hospitals should also contribute to a healthier and more productive nation.

Thus life average life expectancy would rise, so the number of pensioners would go up.

And the money that would have been spent on tobacco would now be spent elsewhere and would still be taxed (although to a lesser degree excluding money spent alcohol).

These are only a few things I've come up with off the top of my head though, there's books/journals online dealing with the economic effects of banning smoking if you have a google.

And tobacco is a highly addictive drug which means some people will continue to smoke, which opens up a black market, which will cost money to defend against.

In my own opinion, the tax taken on alcohol does not make up for many of the problems it causes. Some of which are caused by the price itself. How many dole recipients with 3 kids drink most of their dole? How many people drink their child benefit? Adding tax to the price of alcohol literally takes food out of childrens mouths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The Revenue collect VAT and excise.

So their website is the place to find this info.

What we want are the Statistical Reports:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/about/publications/statistical-reports.html

In particular, the Excise chapter:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/about/publications/statistical/2010/excise.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

[QUOTE='[Jackass];75689042']I've often wondered about this with smoking.

These are only a few things I've come up with off the top of my head though, there's books/journals online dealing with the economic effects of banning smoking if you have a google.[/Quote]

It can and is measured like that. I have seen papers and been to seminars where economists are contracted by governments to answer these questions. I have no linkage as I am on a phone, but a lot of research is currently being commissioned in the UK on the effects that fat taxes have on fat consumption, utility to consumers, revenue generated and the savings to the NHS. Very interesting work done.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Brite_Cloud

Geuze wrote: »
    The Revenue collect VAT and excise.

So their website is the place to find this info.

What we want are the Statistical Reports:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/about/publications/statistical-reports.html

In particular, the Excise chapter:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/about/publications/statistical/2010/excise.pdf
    Thanks for that, best answer so far (for me anyway).

Hidden away in the "About us" section. That's a bit sneaky of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Some really interesting graphs in that report

34rawyr.png

2ujt828.png

wui4k3.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

It can and is measured like that. I have seen papers and been to seminars where economists are contracted by governments to answer these questions. I have no linkage as I am on a phone, but a lot of research is currently being commissioned in the UK on the effects that fat taxes have on fat consumption, utility to consumers, revenue generated and the savings to the NHS. Very interesting work done.

The health authorities in West Virginia were looking into their obesity crisis a few years back.

And they were trying to figure out, would it be cheaper to do something to tackle the epidemic, or to just let people eat themselves to death. Obese people do not live very long. And if anyone tells you any different - How many obese old people do you see around?

Skinny people live longer - higher benefit costs. Governments want people to drop dead more or less as soon as they stop working.

Fat people may be a burden, but not for long.

• Advertisement

krd wrote: »

The health authorities in West Virginia were looking into their obesity crisis a few years back.

And they were trying to figure out, would it be cheaper to do something to tackle the epidemic, or to just let people eat themselves to death. Obese people do not live very long. And if anyone tells you any different - How many obese old people do you see around?

Skinny people live longer - higher benefit costs. Governments want people to drop dead more or less as soon as they stop working.

What paper was that?

What paper was that?

That was in a lot of newspapers a few years back.

You probably would find academic papers too, if you looked.

West Virginia is a low wage, high unemployment state. Some states in America, if you're obese enough, you're considered disabled, so you may receive disability payments - even some health cover. So, some people eat themselves to disability.

What paper was that?

That was in a lot of newspapers a few years back.

You probably would find academic papers too, if you looked.

West Virginia is a low wage, high unemployment state. Some states in America, if you're obese enough, you're considered disabled, so you may receive disability payments - even some health cover. So, some people eat themselves to disability.

I don't treat newspapers as reputable sources. The burden of proof is on those who make the claims. Thus, you should provide the paper or link to it, or admit that you never actually saw it and took the media's word for it.

I don't treat newspapers as reputable sources. The burden of proof is on those who make the claims. Thus, you should provide the paper or link to it, or admit that you never actually saw it and took the media's word for it.

Thus

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/124/Supplement_1/S63.full.pdf

West Virginia is a state at the forefront of the obesity epidemic. It has the second highest rates of adult obesity and youth overweight* in the nation.
    Moreover, West Virginia has evidenced an increasing trend in obesity that exceeds the trend seen nationwide.
    Consistent with these findings, the state has the highest rate of adult diabetes and the highest death rate from heart disease in the nation.
    Health care costs associated with obesity in the state have been estimated to be $588 million per year.

West Virginia is fatso central. People are eating themselves to death there at an astonishing rate.

Some more references.

1. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. BRFSS prevalence and trends data. Available at:
    http://apps.nccd.cdc.gov/brfss. Accessed January 18, 2008
    2. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Prevalence and trends data: Overweight and obesity
    1995–2008 (all states). Available at: http://apps.nccd.cdc.gov/brfss. Accessed July 21, 2009
    3. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Prevalence and trends data: diabetes—2006. Available at: http://apps.nccd.cdc.gov/brfss/list.asp?catDB&yr2006&qkey1363&stateAll. Accessed January 8, 2008
    4. Minin˜ o AM, Heron MP, Murphy SL, Kochanek KD; Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
    National Center for Health Statistics National Vital Statistics System. Deaths: final data for 2004.
    Natl Vital Stat Rep. 2007;55(19):1–119
    5. Finkelstein EA, Fiebelkorn IC, Wang G. State-level estimates of annual medical expenditures attributable to obesity. Obes Res. 2004;12(1):18 –24
    6. Medically underserved areas/medically underserved populations (MUA/Ps): West Virginia—all
    counties. Available at: http://muafind.hrsa.gov/index.aspx. Accessed July 21, 2009
    7. Health professional shortage areas (HPSAs): West Virginia. Available at: http://hpsafind.hrsa.gov/
    HPSASearch.aspx. Accessed July 21, 2009
    8. Personal income per capita in current dollars. 2007. Available at: www.census.gov/statab/ranks/
    rank29.html. Accessed July 21, 2009
    9. US Census Bureau. Current population survey (CPS): annual social and economic (ASEC) supplement. Available at: http://pubdb3.census.gov/macro/032007/pov/new4610012503.htm. Accessed January 18, 2008
    10. Arkansas Center for Health Improvement. Year Four Assessment of Childhood and Adolescent
    Obesity in Arkansas. University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences. Available at: www.achi.net/
    ChildObDocs/ACHI_2007_BMI_ONLINE_State_Report.pdf. Accessed July 21, 2009
    11. Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Health department announces revised growth-screening
    program for schools [press release]. Available at: www.state.pa.us/papower/cwp/view.asp?A
    11&Q438070&tx1. Accessed February 15, 2008
    12. Demerath E, Muratova V, Spangler E, Li J, Minor VE, Neal WA. School-based obesity screening in
    rural Appalachia. Prev Med. 2003;37(6 pt 1):553–560
    13. Koplan JP, Liverman CT, Kraak VI. Preventing Childhood Obesity: Health in the Balance. Washington, DC: National Academies Press; 2005
    14. Freedman DS, Mei Z, Srinivasan SR, Berenson GS, Dietz WH. Cardiovascular risk factors and excess
    adiposity among overweight children and adolescents: the Bogalusa Heart Study. J Pediatr.
    2007;150(1):12.e2–17.e2
    15. Ajzen I. Attitudes, Personality, and Behavior. Buckingham, United Kingdom: Open University Press;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Thus

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/124/Supplement_1/S63.full.pdf

West Virginia is a state at the forefront of the obesity epidemic. It has the second highest rates of adult obesity and youth overweight* in the nation.
    Moreover, West Virginia has evidenced an increasing trend in obesity that exceeds the trend seen nationwide.
    Consistent with these findings, the state has the highest rate of adult diabetes and the highest death rate from heart disease in the nation.
    Health care costs associated with obesity in the state have been estimated to be $588 million per year.

West Virginia is fatso central. People are eating themselves to death there at an astonishing rate.

Eh, are you looking at the same paper that I'm looking at?

You haven't shown anything remotely resembling what you were asked to provide to back up the following post:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Steady on chaps, the OP requested data about alcohol use. Stick to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

andrew wrote: »

Fair point although technically alcohol use and obesity are kinda related ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Mike 1972 wrote: »

Fair point although technically alcohol use and obesity are kinda related ?

I dunno about that, all of the alcoholics I've seen would indicate a negative correlation if anything

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭CajunOnTour

I dunno about that, all of the alcoholics I've seen would indicate a negative correlation if anything

That is so true - you rarely see a fat alcoholic.

In my case the Government makes more out of alcohol tax than it does in income tax ;)

But then I abandoned the white economy when we decided to bankrupt the country to prop up the German banking system.

I'm a strictly cash kinda guy :cool:

Both are the result of excessive indulgence.

There's a funny academic paper, which I had a copy of and lost, a report on alcoholism. It was done by someone in Trinity in the early 70s. It described someone to be an alcoholic, if they daily consumed more than two and half bottles of vodka, or more than 26 pints of beer. So much for peer review - or maybe an alcoholic is someone who drinks more than your peers.

• Advertisement

Both are the result of excessive indulgence.

There's a funny academic paper, which I had a copy of and lost, a report on alcoholism. It was done by someone in Trinity in the early 70s. It described someone to be an alcoholic, if they daily consumed more than two and half bottles of vodka, or more than 26 pints of beer. So much for peer review - or maybe an alcoholic is someone who drinks more than your peers.

I presume that, if that definition was used, then at least some alcoholics do consume that much? Christ; surely that'd, well, kill you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭CajunOnTour

I read somewhere that Winston Churchill drank two and a half bottles of whisky per day - and he was fat and lived to be 90.

And smoked a lot.

What a role model :)

Advertisement