Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Irish Rail going to ever update their fleet and get some new Rolling Stock?

Options
  • 24-11-2011 11:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 107 ✭✭

Their trains are crap, noisy, unreliable and the infrastructure is ****e, and you can never rely on them to get you there on time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Their trains are crap, noisy, unreliable and the infrastructure is ****e, and you can never rely on them to get you there on time.
    Which trains are you talking about?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 107 ✭✭Alan_H_1991

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Which trains are you talking about?

2750 and 2800 class .. northern commuter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Virtually all passenger rolling stock was replaced at some point in the last 15 years. Traditionally the 2800s have had a great reliability rating, for a period 9 out of 10 sets were required in service to operate the Rosslare line Monday-Saturday, and they managed to keep this up with failures few and far between (whether or not they were suited to Intercity use is another thing but you couldn't fault them on their reliability). The 2700s didn't have as good a reputation but seemed to settle down when they were sent down south.

Are you sure it's the 2750s? There's only two of them and it's been a long, long time since they or the 2700s worked northern line services... Though if rumours on other forums are to be believed they'll be stored out of use before long.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 107 ✭✭Alan_H_1991

Niles wrote: »
    Virtually all passenger rolling stock was replaced at some point in the last 15 years. Traditionally the 2800s have had a great reliability rating, for a period 9 out of 10 sets were required in service to operate the Rosslare line Monday-Saturday, and they managed to keep this up with failures few and far between (whether or not they were suited to Intercity use is another thing but you couldn't fault them on their reliability). The 2700s didn't have as good a reputation but seemed to settle down when they were sent down south.

Are you sure it's the 2750s? There's only two of them and it's been a long, long time since they or the 2700s worked northern line services... Though if rumours on other forums are to be believed they'll be stored out of use before long.

Sorry, you're correct I meant 2750, 2800 and especially the 29000 Class

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

Just think yourselves lucky you have a train service, try living in Clonmel and wanting to get anywhere.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 duffmckegean

mlumley wrote: »
    Just think yourselves lucky you have a train service, try living in Clonmel and wanting to get anywhere.:eek:

+1 to that.

The best fun is on a Sunday,when there are no services at all..

Still though, it's not the worse place in the world, you do get to glimpse the odd 071 on a ballast run getting a fill up in the yard. 088 was on duty yesterday circa 12:00 i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

For all its faults, IEs fleet must be one of the youngest in the world. I find it incredible that people feel its life expired when its 10 to 15 years old. In the Old Days, stock used to last 40 or 50 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Yes, there's one thing you can say about public transport in Ireland whether it be bus or train. The fleets are young.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

May be a young fleet ..but those in charge are old fashioned backward thinking individuals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

+1 to that.

The best fun is on a Sunday,when there are no services at all..

Still though, it's not the worse place in the world, you do get to glimpse the odd 071 on a ballast run getting a fill up in the yard. 088 was on duty yesterday circa 12:00 i think

Not for much longer I suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭runway16

Sorry, I don't agree, I use Northern Commuter myself and it aint the trains that the problem. And neither are they dirty, smelly or obsolete in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

runway16 wrote: »
    Sorry, I don't agree, I use Northern Commuter myself and it aint the trains that the problem. And neither are they dirty, smelly or obsolete in my experience.
    Agree that the trains aren't the problem. Usually not dirty, certainly not obsolete, but the odd 29000 do stink thanks to the their toilets. Thankfully such issues don't plague the 33X.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

sisko-facepalm.jpg

There has been huge fleet update in the last 10 years, what do you think all those 22ks are (never mind the all the brand new infrastructure fleet bits and bobs)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

2750 and 2800 class … northern commuter
    Those are 13 and 11 years old respectively. How old did you think they were?

Ah well, back to push-pull...(too late; they got rid of the Mark 3s with the opening windows)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There has been huge fleet update in the last 10 years, what do you think all those 22ks are (never mind the all the brand new infrastructure fleet bits and bobs)

The oldest 29ks aren't even ten years old at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

He's a bloody troll. I'm closing this thread before it becomes another Alan H success story.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement