Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do commuter trains serve Portmarnock, Malahide and Clongriffin?

Options
  • 24-11-2011 11:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 107 ✭✭

They have a DART every 10 minutes or so, and yet our already crowded commuter trains (from Dundalk/Newry/Drogheda) still serve those stations going to and coming from town. It pisses me off, because after a day in college, i board the train and I am squeezed on it like a cattle train or like some train in India with barely enough room to stand, then when the train pulls into the aforementioned stops, they empty off it like there's no tomorrow.

Also I am enraged that I am due to start college at 10 O'clock on Thursday Morning, and the train leaving my town at 9.08 AM is SUPPOSED to get me there on time .. but the 3 times I got it at that time, I was atrociously late for college, and having to resort to getting the train an hour earlier, which is packed to the brim when it arrives in Donabate. Why can't they have trains the full length of the platform?? Al that lengthening was for nothing !!!

Also the 17.21 service from Conolloy goes straight to Rush and Lusk, WHY OH WHY does this skip Donabate, then the next train after this serves ALL stations and originates in Bray, and again I am forced to share the same space with scum vermin from Malahide, Portmarock and clongriffin. I SOMEWHAT understand the train serving Donaghmede, as this is an important junction station... but why Portmarnock, Malahide and Clongriffin?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Its probably a heritage/traditional arrangement due to these two stations being mainline stations and rather posh areas at one time.

And Clongriffin is served because they built it so decided they better stop some trains there:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 107 ✭✭Alan_H_1991

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Its probably a heritage/traditional arrangement due to these two stations being mainline stations and rather posh areas at one time.

And Clongriffin is served because they built it so decided they better stop some trains there:D

OK fair enough, stop the DARTS @ Clongriffin, but not commuters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

My guess (but I'm not sure) is that's to ensure there is a frequent service to the DART stations north of Howth Junction, the DART service to these locations is half hourly. If I recall correctly up till a few years ago most Drogheda commuters didn't stop at Portmarnock.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭skD13

Malahide services can be very infrequent. If commuters did not stop in Clongriffin/Portmarnock/Malahide there would be, in some cases, gaps of over ¾ hour in services at peak times.

For example in the evening from Tara St. there is a Malahide branch DART at 17:51 then a commuter at 17:58, a commuter at 18.19 and then a DART at 18.37. Take out those commuters and you are left with a peak time gap to Clongriffin, Portmarnock and Malahide of 46mins.

That would leave quite a full DART and 18:37 not to mention many frustrated commuters who live by this “rapid transit” :) service that might see them waiting 46 mins in rush hour to catch a train.

One of the commuters maybe could be ditched though in the above example… the 17.58 perhaps, but that still leaves half an hour wait which isn’t great either for a DART service.

http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/printed_timetable_pdfs/Dart%20Timetables%20sep2011/Tara%20Street%2011.pdf

There are other examples too. This isn’t the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭runway16

They have a DART every 10 minutes or so, and yet our already crowded commuter trains (from Dundalk/Newry/Drogheda) still serve those stations going to and coming from town. It pisses me off, because after a day in college, i board the train and I am squeezed on it like a cattle train or like some train in India with barely enough room to stand, then when the train pulls into the aforementioned stops, they empty off it like there's no tomorrow.

Also I am enraged that I am due to start college at 10 O'clock on Thursday Morning, and the train leaving my town at 9.08 AM is SUPPOSED to get me there on time .. but the 3 times I got it at that time, I was atrociously late for college, and having to resort to getting the train an hour earlier, which is packed to the brim when it arrives in Donabate. Why can't they have trains the full length of the platform?? Al that lengthening was for nothing !!!

Also the 17.21 service from Conolloy goes straight to Rush and Lusk, WHY OH WHY does this skip Donabate, then the next train after this serves ALL stations and originates in Bray, and again I am forced to share the same space with scum vermin from Malahide, Portmarock and clongriffin. I SOMEWHAT understand the train serving Donaghmede, as this is an important junction station... but why Portmarnock, Malahide and Clongriffin?

Jesus, would you ever get a life! "Scum Vermin" at Malahide and Portmarnock? What are you exactly, the fourth ****ing earl of Dundalk?

Why dont you ask IE why they do this? I'm sure they may very well be able to provide you with a reason - in fact, I think you already touched on it - there is DEMAND. And as others have stated, the DART service is a tad infrequent to the mentioned stations.

I think from your posts now on two threads, you need to actually go to some other country and see how full, and also how dirty some of their trains are. Better still, I think you need to go and buy yourself a car so you never have to suffer the indignity of sharing a carriage with Scum and Vermin with trains that you seem to think "are like India". Have you ever even been to India? Have you ever actually seen their trains, with hundreds sitting up outside on the roofs???

You say in another post you have used trains in France, Germany and Spain. Ever been on DB regional trains, or the French RER?? I have, I used to live in these countries, and no, they are not all clean and gleaming as you seem to think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,301 ✭✭✭✭Victor

scum vermin
    No need for comments like this.
    but why Portmarnock, Malahide and Clongriffin?
    Becuase there is demand. How do you think secondary schoold students from Donabate should get to school in Malahide?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

They have a DART every 10 minutes or so....why Portmarnock, Malahide and Clongriffin?
    No they don't. Look at the timetable.
    Why can't they have trains the full length of the platform??
    The platforms are at the prescribed length to accommodate an 8 carriage train, which is the longest being run at the mo. If IE ran longer trains, every Platform north of Howth Junction , plus the city centre and southside services served by DMU's will all need to be lengthened as well. These is no mean feat in most locations, and perhaps impossible in some.
    Victor wrote: »
    How do you think secondary schoold students from Donabate should get to school in Malahide?
    A new VEC opened in Donabate in the last while. The need to accommodate youngsters heading to to schools in Portmarnock and Malahide should be eased with that over time.

Advertisement