Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

University of Limerick, not recognised by Medical Board of California

Options
  • 24-11-2011 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭

all other irish medschools are.

University College Cork
    University College Dublin
    National University of Ireland at Galway
    Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
    Trinity College Dublin
    Queen's University

so basically, anyone who graduates from UL can't practice in california until the medical school gets approved

relevant links

http://www.mbc.ca.gov/applicant/schools_recognized.html#i
    http://www.mbc.ca.gov/applicant/schools_self-assessment_ims.pdf

kinda funny cause 2 universities from Afghanistan, one from somalia, 4 from Ethiopia, 10 from Iraq, one from the glorious nation of Kazakhastan about a billion from india (rounding off :P) ARE recognised. lol.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

img.jpeg

They just graduated their first class of 32 in June. The Californian Medical board has probably not received any applications from UL graduates yet and so are unaware of its existence.

Also I'm sure there are some fine medical schools in Afghanistan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

Yillan wrote: »

They just graduated their first class of 32 in June. The Californian Medical board has probably not received any applications from UL graduates yet and so are unaware of its existence.

Also I'm sure there are some fine medical schools in Afghanistan

you're missing the point. Residency programs in California are not even allowed to LOOK at the candidates unless their medical school is on that list, so before you can even think about you applying to a residency program there, your med school needs to be on that list (NRMP has special filters that will hide your application to certain places if you are not eligable to apply to those places i.e. if a program doesn't sponsor visas, you wont be visible to them, even if you applied, same thing with MBC)

the board has to audit the school and visit it before it is approved.
    Tools/ERAS filter- all data fields in this grouping default to not available, meaning the data will be screened from review (birthdate, birth place, felony convictions, gender, citizenship, limitations, race/ethnicity, SSN, visa)
    Filter/Sort- you can sort by such things as board scores, schools, applications that are incomplete, etc. Take a look at your options.

http://www.aan.com/globals/axon/assets/3445.pdf

check and mate.

its the ERAS filter, not the NRMP, but essentially one is a part of the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

University College Cork
    Trinity College Dublin
    Queen's University

kinda funny cause 2 universities from Afghanistan, one from somalia, 4 from Ethiopia, 10 from Iraq, one from the glorious nation of Kazakhastan about a billion from india (rounding off :P) ARE recognised. lol.

You may find it funny but Iraq has outstanding medical schools and a public health system arguably better than Ireland's. During the last recession in the 80s, Iraq recruited a large amount of Irish nurses and other health professionals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

Gyalist wrote: »
    You may find it funny but Iraq has outstanding medical schools and a public health system arguably better than Ireland's. During the last recession in the 80s, Iraq recruited a large amount of Irish nurses and other health professionals.

I agree Iraq was a major hub of education during and before the islamic caliphate and alot of innovations in pre-modren world came from places such as ancient egyptians (i.e. even minor surg like tracheostomys), so i dont mean to sound ignorant, but you would "think" that an irish medical school would more likely be found on the list than an iraqi or somali one. but i've always argued that allopathic medicine is essentially the same everywhere, aborigonies learn the same allopathic medicine as norway's igloo people.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ciara84

You can just get a lisence for... say... texas and then apply for equivalent medical lisence in any other state. This isnt really an issue unless one wants to move to california immediately after medical school, however not being on the list does make the credibility of the medical school questionable since while I was researching I had found that they didn't have pharmacology lectures and the link you quoted says
    Describe how the curriculum for all applicants provides for adequate instruction in each of the following subjects.
    pharmacology

I was made aware on boards that they do now have a professor for pharmacology, but i think this only came in this year, as UL was going to be my first choice as I would have been able to live at home etc, until i learned about some of its pitfalls and decided to go for RCSI last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

the MB of California haven't looked at UL as it's such a new school, they probably won't, until they get an applicant from UL, then they will contact IMC

the IMC are happy with UL (word on the street is that the interns are doing very well), so I'd be sure that the MBC will be too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fuinneamh50

As the first graduates were only recently conferred , there was only one applicant to the states where he they secured a place in Boston General Hospital. The applications to the States is set to rise as the majority of students in the coming years have sat the USMLE step 1.

Unfortunately I have been told that UL is on a list to be assessed and will most likely happen when they receive an applicant for a residency position in California.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 davepoll

University College Cork
    Trinity College Dublin
    Queen's University

so basically, anyone who graduates from UL can't practice in california until the medical school gets approved

relevant links

http://www.mbc.ca.gov/applicant/schools_recognized.html#i
    http://www.mbc.ca.gov/applicant/schools_self-assessment_ims.pdf

This is the great info, Really this is what i am searching for..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭UL_heart_throb

i think people from this years cohort or next will be applying for internship in california, i think that is when they will first acknowledge the med school and then ratify it. I think because it's irish it will be a certainty, irish doctors are held in the highest regard in north america.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I don't know the full background, but conditions for the course being awarded to UL included a medical building and clinical building. The former is due for July completion and the latter is subject to an agreement with the HSE, which I believe is complete, so that's in progress.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭UL_heart_throb

not sure if that's got anything to do with what we're discussing

Advertisement