Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light smoker myth?

Options
  • 24-11-2011 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭

I got to admit I enjoy the occasional ciggie (marlboro lights;)).After work,during exams,while driving,waiting for someone,when drinking.I would rarely smoke more than 5 cigerettes a day.
    I could go 1-3 days with no cigerette as I just didnt get around to buying a pack.
    Am I a lght/casual/social smoker or is it simply a case of you are either a smoker or not,there is no middle-ground?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

In my opinion you would be an 'occasional smoker', but a 'smoker' nonetheless. Still - who cares about labels?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

How long have you been smoking? I was very much like you when I first started but over time that 5 cigs a day became 10, 15 and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

How long have you been smoking? I was very much like you when I first started but over time that 5 cigs a day became 10, 15 and so on.
    About a year and a half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

a doctor assess how heavy you smoke by using "pack-years"

1 pack-year means 20 cigs a day for 1 year

if you smoke 40 a day for 5 years you have a 10 pack-year history

About a year and a half.

nail it on the head now!

honestly the sooner the better!!

horrible things they are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Spagboll: I like your pack year explanation, nice to know, however your following post is not in keeping with the forum. While we don't activelly encourage people to smoke by the same token we don't preach against it. Thats the reason for the exitance of the forum, a non judgemental place for smokers to discuss smoking tobacco.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Spagboll: I like your pack year explanation, nice to know, however your following post is not in keeping with the forum. While we don't activelly encourage people to smoke by the same token we don't preach against it. Thats the reason for the exitance of the forum, a non judgemental place for smokers to discuss smoking tobacco.
    Sorry mate I was half thinking that, I'm a smoker myself, dont usually follow this section just saw it on the home page. No offence intended :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Grand so, enjoy the forum. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

spagboll wrote: »
    nail it on the head now!

honestly the sooner the better!!

horrible things they are
    And how many a day would you smoke if you mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,648 ✭✭✭✭briany

spagboll wrote: »
    a doctor assess how heavy you smoke by using "pack-years"

1 pack-year means 20 cigs a day for 1 year

if you smoke 40 a day for 5 years you have a 10 pack-year history

Does that mean that the health conscious smoker (sort of an oxymoron) would be assessed in light-pack years?

• Advertisement
Advertisement