Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carzone Lotto Scam

Options
  • 24-11-2011 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Carzone Lotto Scam
    Hi - here's an email I received this afternoon from

"Congratulations John,

The National Lottery in association with Carzone.ie is rewarding 3 lucky Carzone members, with €1,000 each.

We would like to announce that you are one of the lucky winners, that will receive €1,000. All you have to do is open an account, fill out the form and claim your prize.

<snip>
    National Lottery
    PO Box 123
    FREEPOST
    Dublin 1

All the best,
    National Lottery Team"

I (suspiciously) clicked the link and of course was asked for account details, credit card number, mother's maiden name etc. Needless to say, it's a scam. I have contacted Lotto and Carzone.

Beware!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Post reported. OP, might want to remove the web link in case someone actually tries it.

Reported in case mod can get to it first.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Snipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭shangri la

They just don't put the effort into these scams anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jayom

Hi - my apologies for leaving the link in. Genuine error. First time using Boards. J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

I just got that mail aswell.

They obviously trawl car websites looking for leads.

Can someone tell me who you would report a scam like this to?

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shine32

just got it too pure scam how did they get emails?

I would report it to the lotto and carzone (like I did - I just sent them an email). You could go to the guards, but it's not likely they're going to be interested. I was most disappointed at not winning €1000 - the email on its face looked quite convincing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shine32

just emailed lotto and said they are trying to sort it, still wont tell me where they got my email from! i have to admit i laugh at people who fall for these but that was done very good was full sure i had won, thanks very much to first post knew it was scam good work!

shine32 wrote: »
    just got it too pure scam how did they get emails?

Don't know. I've a car on carzone but the email address isn't displayed.

Good point - my email address isnt displayed on Carzone either.

• Advertisement

Reported to Lottery and carzone.

Got the following reply (very quickly) from Lottery.
    Thank you for forwarding the email you received.

I can confirm that this is a bogus email. On foot of calls and emails forwarded to us from recipients of these emails we are currently looking in the matter. “lotto.ie” domain is only used in the email and the site it links back to is not a lotto.ie or lottery.ie site. Unfortunately, it is relatively easy to fake the From field in an email and we have no control over this. The Internet Header information contained in the email will tell you the actual sender but this information is not easy to access. We are hoping to get this information and have the website hosting the fake registration page closed down.

Thanks again for bringing the matter to our attention.

jayom wrote: »
    Good point - my email address isnt displayed on Carzone either.

Hope there's not someone in there selling email lists to people!!!

shine32 wrote: »
    just emailed lotto and said they are trying to sort it, still wont tell me where they got my email from! i have to admit i laugh at people who fall for these but that was done very good was full sure i had won, thanks very much to first post knew it was scam good work!

Thanks and welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 WDVladB

Clanket wrote: »
    Reported to Lottery and carzone.

Got the following reply (very quickly) from Lottery.
    I also got the scam mail, I love the way neither the Lotto or Carzone address the issue of the scammers getting our email addresses :mad:

WDVladB wrote: »
    I also got the scam mail, I love the way neither the Lotto or Carzone address the issue of the scammers getting our email addresses :mad:

How do you think they are getting them?

Are they hacking their sites?

I'm not registered with Lottery so carzone is the weakest link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 WDVladB

I can only assume so as when you click Email the Seller, no address appears. The only other way is that they have contacted each of us in the past inquiring about our cars and then got our addresses when we replied.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kimmyt1987

Just got the same email...
    I think everyone is far too savvy to fall for these pathetic scams anymore, its the fact that they got my email that really annoys me!
    I have never registered anything with Lotto.ie, (I dont know if you even can) and I am a student bum, I have never had a car, (I can barely afford the bus) and have never used carzone.ie so I can imagine I can safely rule both of thse out......

They blocked the site our link followed through to. They must have a new one up and running.

I'd say there's a proportion of people that do fall for it. That's why they keep doing them.

Advertisement