Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Spare Wheel / Bottle of gunk and tyre inflator ?

Options
  • 24-11-2011 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

well at the moment i have a space saver wheel in the back of my honda civic (whatever part of the country its in now and how many pieces !)

its sitting in the lower part of the boot (boot kinda separated into two parts)

I'm wondering would it be worth my while taking the wheel out to save weight and the likes and regain boot space and pick up a bottle of gunk with a air pump thingy ?

and if i do can i avoid the main dealer and pick one up for honda on the cheap while be genuine ?

any thoughts on this if its worth it or not ?

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

robbie_998 wrote: »
    well at the moment i have a space saver wheel in the back of my honda civic (whatever part of the country its in now and how many pieces !)

its sitting in the lower part of the boot (boot kinda separated into two parts)

I'm wondering would it be worth my while taking the wheel out to save weight and the likes and regain boot space and pick up a bottle of gunk with a air pump thingy ?

and if i do can i avoid the main dealer and pick one up for honda on the cheap while be genuine ?

any thoughts on this if its worth it or not ?

cheers

Do you use all your cars boot space regularly?

Do you always drive in the most economical way possible?

Do you want to be stranded on the side of the road covered in gunk after you make a b*lls of the puncture repair?

If the answer to the above questions is yes then go for it:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

EPM wrote: »
    Do you use all your cars boot space regularly?

Do you always drive in the most economical way possible?

Do you want to be stranded on the side of the road covered in gunk after you make a b*lls of the puncture repair?

If the answer to the above questions is yes then go for it:p

Yes

Yes

and not particularly but is it really difficult to use ?

at the moment its weight im carrying around and its costing me type thing when im on motorways all the time now.

i try to get my MPG as high as possible without being a granny !

plus if it were to snow, throwing on a space saver wheel with a crap tyre wouldnt be the best option maybe ?

i am open to all correction :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that once you used one of those cans of gunk you had to replace the tyre as it was not possible to repair the tyre after use. I don’t think you would offset the cost of a new tyre against the gain in mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The first time you hit a pothole and blow the sidewall out of the tyre you will quickly find the limitations of that pannenfix spray.
    Its fine for small holes like a nail or a screw but when you drive around Ireland much worse things can happen to a tyre that are not repairable.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that once you used one of those cans of gunk you had to replace the tyre as it was not possible to repair the tyre after use. I don’t think you would offset the cost of a new tyre against the gain in mpg.

is it definitely only a temporary fix ?

is that true it would definitely have to be a new tyre for the sake of a nail or something ?

if that be true then might not be worth it after all.
    CJhaughey wrote: »
    The first time you hit a pothole and blow the sidewall out of the tyre you will quickly find the limitations of that pannenfix spray.
    Its fine for small holes like a nail or a screw but when you drive around Ireland much worse things can happen to a tyre that are not repairable.

this is very true, dont really wanna gamble like that

might just stick with the space saver ......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

CJhaughey wrote: »

Was just about to say this, I was contemplating taking out my spare for a while but I'd be proper ****ed then If I got a sidewall puncture in the middle of nowhere.

OP,I can't imagine that the Civic's boot is that small to justify to taking out the spare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

my car doesnt have a spare wheel, i would love one tbh.
    i dont really hold much hope out for the "mobility kit"

i cant see why you would prefer to be without a spare wheel if you do a lot of driving, the fuel savings would have to be miniscule

Was just about to say this, I was contemplating taking out my spare for a while but I'd be proper ****ed then If I got a sidewall puncture in the middle of nowhere.

OP,I can't imagine that the Civic's boot is that small to justify to taking out the spare.

agree with the side wall there

not a small boot. It's a normal boot with the flap lifting up to the spare section (which is actually a boot)

think i'll give it a miss so !

thanks for the advice all !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

The gunk stuff is water soluble so the tyre can be repaired and used again, in the case of a nail/screw etc...

You're still left with the sidewall dilemma though.

dar83 wrote: »
    The gunk stuff is water soluble so the tyre can be repaired and used again, in the case of a nail/screw etc...

You're still left with the sidewall dilemma though.

im thinking asking a friend or family member to drop out with a spare as the chances of getting a complete blow out or sidewall are very rare ?

for my car i doubt i need a specific type of pump or gunk ? like there is a section in the boot that opens for a air pressure thing.

any suggestions on where to get one or head off to a honda dealer ? (not too excited about this to be honest but will if have to depending on price)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I've seen aerosol cans used on three or four motorcycle punctures. It never worked. Maybe car tyres are more suitable but I'd stick with the spare wheel.

Advertisement