Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy problem

Options
  • 24-11-2011 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭

HI,

Have a goldie for the last 2weeks. He is 12 weeks old.

Yesterday morning he whimpered and was started hopping on his hind leg. I check it in case something had stuck in his paw and after a minute he was walking fine.

Again this morning he put his two front paws up to me and let out a little moan and started hopping on his hind leg.

He is due back in the vet monday for his final shots. He was in there a week and half ago and was checked out.

I know Hip Dysplasia and joint problems are a concern with goldies but its only been one occurance each day, he is a hyper puppy and loves running around the garden. Surely he'd be showing more consistant signs if it was this. Wouldn't he?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

First thing ill say is do you have your pup insured? If not do it now!!!

Also, were the parents hip scored, did you see the results?

At 12 weeks i doubt its H.D. but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I wonder if he's learnt that hopping on one leg equals lots of cuddling?

Hope your puppy is ok

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

andreac wrote: »
    First thing ill say is do you have your pup insured? If not do it now!!!

Also, were the parents hip scored, did you see the results?

At 12 weeks i doubt its H.D. but you never know.

Thanks,

Yeah i got insurance last week but the the policy takes 2 weeks to kick in. So it wont be worth the paper its wriiten on for another week.

And he gets plenty of cuddles and attention all day when i'm here. He doesnt need to fake it. Wow, doggie Münchausen disorder!!!!

Were the parents Hip Scored?

andreac wrote: »
    Were the parents Hip Scored?

The mother was, I saw the results. Well I've never seen anything like that before so I assume it was legit. it was an average score of 19. The mother was fine, no limping,, Nice straight walking.

I've read that Low hip scores dont gurantee No HD in pups. That its just a guide if its a high score probably best not to breed from them in case.

• Advertisement

liger wrote: »
    The mother was, I saw the results. Well I've never seen anything like that before so I assume it was legit. it was an average score of 19. The mother was fine, no limping,, Nice straight walking.

I've read that Low hip scores dont gurantee No HD in pups. That its just a guide if its a high score probably best not to breed from them in case.

A dog doesnt always have to be lame or walking funny to have bad Hip Scores. People are under the impression that if a dog walks ok they are fine, this isnt always the case.
    Both parents could be fine but have very bad hip scores which if passed on to the pup can cause H.D.

Hopefully its not HD with your pup as its very young to be showing signs if it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

He could have overdone it playing? I'd rest him for a couple of days - no running or jumping around and see how he gets on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

check the pups feet they may have cut the pads on their paws and in little pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aisher

I would rest him and see how he is - my dog runs mad for a ball and 2 weeks ago let out a whimper when running - she hobbled around for a couple of days but was fine - most likely all the running around resulted in a sprain. Also check there is no debris in the pad - all manner of bits can get caught in the foot from walks in parks etc.

aisher wrote: »
    I would rest him and see how he is - .

He has actually been fairly quiet today, sleeping at the door and in his bed. I'd say about 50% of his normal hyperness.

I have only taken him on short walks up the top of the road so far. Getting him use to the lead and walking.

Will keep an eye on it and if continues will take him to the vet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

just to add.... make sure the visit to the vet is a positive as possible with plenty of treats and reassurance. When they examine legs and hips they really bend the legs to test full movement and it can be uncomfortable and scary for the dog. When my guy was examined as a pup he was in pain - we don't see the vet who examined him if possible as he afraid of him since then.

Advertisement